IGNORED

Deja Vu: 1971 Restoration

motorman7

3 hours ago, Zup said:

Not to worry about the red coil wire boot----I 'm pretty sure it would be correct.

I purchased a NOS set of original Nissan plug wires years ago and it has the red boot.

As installed on my 73 before I returned to the original flat tops----

Thanks for the feedback on the coil wire boot.  I was not really sure on that one. 

Oooohh, and I love those flat tops...Wish you would have posted a picture of those babies.  Still kicking myself for selling my 73 with the flat tops.  I would buy that one back in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the support everyone.  it really is pretty fun putting it all together.    Got a lot done yesterday and today.  Got the door window frames cleaned, polished and installed.  Replaced some of the connector housings, got the rest of the smog lines in.  Got the headlight buckets on (will probably revisit those, gap is a bit wide.  Thinking I may shim the inside lip.)  Got the fuel door on. Also, here is a pic of the red coil cap

DSCF5766.JPG

DSCF5769.JPG

DSCF5772.JPG

DSCF5773.JPG

DSCF5778.JPG

DSCF5781.JPG

DSCF5774.JPG

DSCF5783.JPG

DSCF5784.JPG

DSCF5785.JPG

DSCF5776.JPG

Edited by motorman7
  • Like 4

The Owner should try to get it into Pebble Beach 2018. No doubt it should be shown at Monterey for the Historics Week..  Beautiful job all around and the work is well documented. Should sell for above $60K at Amelia pretty easily .. but I doubt the original owner would part with it.  (and he shouldn't). 

Carl B.

Thanks for the support Carl.  Yes, I would love to see this shown at Pebble Beach.  It would fit right in.

Just got back from a short vacation in Sedona.  Time to get back to work on the Z

I got the door mechanisms cleaned up and installed.  Got the door handles, locks, inside handles all cleaned, installed and working nicely.  Had to clean up some over spray from previous paint job.  Also got the drivers side mirror buffed out and installed (That was tricky).  Got the front turn signals and lights cleaned up and installed.

Also got a new pair of OEM windshield wiper supports.  The wipers on the car as received were not stock. The OEM design of the  wipers is a work of art and a must have. 

I am about ready to put in the headlights, but would like to put in the original Koito brand lights.  I have one and think I can probably get a second one from @Montezuma or Les.  I think that would be a nice touch.    

A few pics are below.

DSCF5787.JPG

DSCF5790.JPG

DSCF5791.JPG

DSCF5793.JPG

DSCF5803.JPG

DSCF5811.JPG

DSCF5812.JPG

DSCF5799.JPG

Edited by motorman7
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Patcon said:

What technique did you use to clean the lockset? It turned out good...

I soaked them in paint thinner and used a soft wire brush to remove the over spray.  Used a parts brush to clean into the crevices on the mechanism side.  Finished the visible portion, where needed, with steel wool, trying to minimize the removal of the zinc coating.  Both sides came out pretty nice.