IGNORED

Bill's EFI Drama AKA A Game of Name that Component!

mentalite

I can't believe y'all haven't watched that?  One guy stays passed out in the backseat through the whole movie. Another one does a parachute jump with a hippie pilot that put his dirty clothes in the chute pack.  They run out of gas, get a cable from the median fence and lasso a train.  Didn't move the car one inch, instead it yanked the whole front end off the old Cadillac. ROFL

Seems you got it running better which is great.  I'm in the process of getting my 79 parts car running.  I did all the injector plugs and both thermo-time plug and WTS plug. I used the volvo pigtails as I like the larger rubber boot.  Protects all of my solder joints and to me looks nice.  You can get these off of 90's 4 cyl.  Easy to access, usually always in great shape and cheap!.  First plug on left is what I used on the injectors and 2nd one in for the TTS and the WTS. I used emmory cloth on the inside of the bullet connectors.  I was so shocked how bad they were.

injector_clips2.jpg

2 hours ago, JSM said:

I used the volvo pigtails as I like the larger rubber boot. 

I used a different version of those connectors. I believe it is VW. Instead of one long lock release bar on the side, it has two lock release tabs on the ends. The ones with the one long bar on the sides are good and much better than the originals, but I think the ones with the two tabs on the ends are even better.

Don't remember if I've posted pics before, but these are what I used. Didn't work well for the water temp or thermotime because of clearance issues, but for the injectors...  I love 'em!!  :
P1030614_zpsqyppp5kr.jpg

Gotta be the BCDD.  Now that I know to pay attention, the high RPMs drop immediately when the speedo drops to 10MPH.  Trouble is, adjusting doesn't seem to improve the situation, though I'll keep messing with it.  I'm at 10 quarter turns clockwise so far.  Interestingly, as soon as I put a wrench on the nut a hissing sound that I didn't even notice went away.  It has stayed away after adjustment.  The manual also shows a retention spring which is missing, so I'm hoping that's an indicator that the nut is out of adjustment because of that.

I'm in a bit of a tough spot because I think I'm finding causes of the problems, but then getting the parts or making the fix isn't happening.  I've expanded my AAR search to include other makes which have the Bosch system.  Some are available, but man they're expensive!