IGNORED

K & N AIR FILTER

jalexquijano

Read the ad!!

K&N Performance Air Filter, 73-74 240Z-260Z

K&N Performance Air Filter, 73-74 240Z-260Z

Description:
This is a great upgrade to the stock air filter for late 240Z's, 260Z's, or any Z that is running the Hitachi (flat top) carburetors and the stock 73-74 housing. This filter measures 2 inches thick as shown above. 

Model Guide:
Datsun 240Z, 260Z 

Code Guide:
Datsun S30 

Year Guide:
1973, 1974 
Edited by siteunseen

3 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Don't waste your money, unless your paper filter is clogged the K&N isn't going to do anything but let very fine sand into the cylinders.

I've had K&N air filters on my Porsche for 25 years and live in a desert.  Hopefully, the cylinders aren't half full of fine sand :)

Dennis

I am an automotive engineer at Ford Performance.  About 15 years ago when K&N filters were all the rage, we tested K&N filters as well as various paper filters for both flow and filtration abilities.  The stock Ford high performance paper filters flowed better and did a much better job catching fine particles than the K&N filters.  We didn't do this testing to prove how good we are, we did it because if the K&N tested better, we would have sourced them.

Our 526 HP, 8250 RPM GT350 uses a paper filter because it breathes better.  A K&N filter relies on oil to catch the dust and if the filter has too much or too little oil, it will either choke flow or allow debris to pass through.  No thanks...  BTW, you don't see desert racers or off road motorcycles used K&N filters either.

As for K&N's making more power, they are almost always paired with a cold air intake which does indeed make more power than a restrictive OE airbox.  Then again, try passing any kind of water fording testing with a cold air intake and see how long the engine lasts.  Aftermarket intakes are great, but they come with caveats.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, grannyknot said:

It would be interesting to have a look at your cylinder walls.

Yes, it would.  If it didn't cost mega-thousand dollars to pull a six cylinder Porsche engine apart and put it back together, I'd give it a look.  

Air filters comprise an interesting topic that generates lots of opinions full of accurate and inaccurate information.  I run the K&Ns because that's what came on the car when I bought it.  My other cars all have paper filters, usually whatever's on sale at the parts store.  I recently replaced the filters on my Infiniti G37.  The dealership service manager said to only use "real" Infiniti (Nissan) filters which are lightly oiled paper elements.  Consensus on the Infiniti forum was to buy whatever replacement brand you want at the local parts store.  A few owners suggested K&N.  Some said stick with Nissan branded filters.

Some say the oil on K&Ns fouls sensors.  K&N says it doesn't void a new car warranty.  K&N does make filters for off-road applications.  Ford Motorcraft filters are made by Wix and Purolator to Ford specs, but are those specs significantly different than Wix and Purolator filter specs? Questions, questions, questions and no definitive absolute answers.  Kind of a pay your money and take your chances.

The topic does make for good discussion over a couple beers.  But, like politics and religion, minds probably won't be changed as a result.  I will now step off my soap box and slide it back under my desk until next time :)

Dennis