IGNORED

Front injector bank not firing (1976 280Z)

NicholasKoenig

Core charges are a problem for some and not for others. The core charge could be $2000 and I wouldn't care, if I needed the part. It will go on my credit card and I will very promptly return my core with insurance in this case. The $2000 will never leave my pocket and if I'm quick enough no interest either...

On 12/2/2016 at 9:08 PM, Zed Head said:

Have you considered reconsidering your core charge?  Maybe get some economists to help?  Risk/reward. opportunity cost, etc.  You have a nice case study here of how the high core charge drove a customer to the less expensive alternative.  $400 seems like it came from nowhere.  It's more expensive than the rebuilt part, which makes no readily available sense.

Also, has anyone considering buying cores?  Many of us out here have old AFM's that we've picked up cheap, as spares.  I often see good cores in the wrecking yard, with corroded electronics.  No need to try to save them though because there's no market for the core.  Off to the crusher.  I'd probably send them to somebody $20 each, if they wanted them.  Maybe even free if somebody asked.

Granted. Some may remember that Sal gradually started moving core prices higher (a very long time ago) since we weren't getting any back at all (and we never had them as low as $11). Basically he raised them a little, and still didn't get them back, raised them a bit more, and finally arrived at where they are now when they hit a point that we actually did receive a fair number of them back (surprisingly STILL not all of them). That is how he arrived at the core charges of today. "Make the sale now and don't worry about the future" economics definitely would agree with $11 core charges, but with an ever-shrinking supply of a specific part with almost no chance of a new reproduction, Sal and Greg decided not to mortgage the future to sell more. It certainly could be an endless discussion where that balance should be, and was debated at Motorsport, and continues to be considered and reconsidered by Greg. There are strong points on more than two sides of the issue.

As far as finding cores, we do. We have a guy that does nothing but scour junkyards for such things. Hopefully there is such a person in every area doing the same, as a crushed Z with good parts is truly such a waste. And if somebody had a supply of good ECU cores (i.e. not taken apart and changed/modified/etc.), I know Greg may have interest in those, absolutely. Perhaps even AFM's or AMS's, I'll have to get with Greg later in the week (when he is less overwhelmed) and inquire.

On 12/2/2016 at 9:08 PM, Zed Head said:

...Many of us out here have old AFM's that we've picked up cheap, as spares.  I often see good cores in the wrecking yard, with corroded electronics.  No need to try to save them though because there's no market for the core.  Off to the crusher.  I'd probably send them to somebody $20 each, if they wanted them...

Greg's response: "Whaddya got?"  :)

Just let James or I know what ECU or AFM cores you may have (by model number on the core itself). Obviously they would have to be complete, including the cap on the AFM.

To get cashed, the cores can't be bashed, smashed, mashed, gashed, crashed, or flashed. And if any of you tinkered with it and changed something inside, we have ways of making you talk.

Thanks for following up.  I made my suggestions more along the lines of helping MSA with their AFM business, since they lost a potential customer to CARDONE and the reason was stated,  Just seemed like good intel from the customer side.  I'm not really looking to make a few dollars scavenging cores.  

It sounds like you guys are happy with how things are, so carry on.  This thread will be buried soon so if there's no change on the web site, then it's a dead topic.  Good luck.

1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

Thanks for following up.  I made my suggestions more along the lines of helping MSA with their AFM business, since they lost a potential customer to CARDONE and the reason was stated,  Just seemed like good intel from the customer side.  I'm not really looking to make a few dollars scavenging cores.  

It sounds like you guys are happy with how things are, so carry on.  This thread will be buried soon so if there's no change on the web site, then it's a dead topic.  Good luck.

Ok, my misunderstanding then. Seemed like you were asking, so I asked Greg on your behalf about selling the cores you had.

Don't mistake the silly parts of my post, I'm just a bit goofy, and it spills out sometimes. I don't think there is any way to be happy about the way things are in regards to rebuilding electronic items that aren't available new any longer. That would require a large supply of ECU's to rebuild without concern about getting the cores back. We tried for years with much lower core charges, and unfortunately it didn't work, nobody ever sent them back. Hopefully the quality of our Rebuilder's work, the fact that we do have some rebuildable cores available that other companies do not (because of the core charge), and the fact that we can rebuild customer cores directly are helpful to some.

Do know that Greg and I do appreciate very much that you copy things like this to us, even if we can't always come up with an option that works the best for all. You're pretty awesome. Thank you.