IGNORED

12v vacuum pump for brake booster

grannyknot

This bmw engine I'm putting in the Z doesn't lend it self to taking vacuum from it for the brake booster so have been thinking about using a 12v vacuum pump to do the job. Hella makes a pump that seems to be used a lot in Volvo, VW and Audi but I have zero experience with these things. I'm not even sure how much vacuum is required by our brake boosters and I have read a few times in the archives of Hybridz of guys doing away with the vacuum assist altogether.

Any advice is welcome,

vacuum pump.jpg

A common type used on a lot European cars is made by Hella P/N: 31317530. If you google Hella 31317530 you will find them for about $175 over in the US.

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/10334/121739-brake-vacuum-pump-p2-s60-v70-xc70-s80-xc90

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-S40-XC70-XC90-V40-V50-C30-2001-2013-Hella-Vacuum-Pump-for-Brake-Booster-/151135861207?fits=Make%3AVolvo

Volvos have them. They work on 12V and pull almost full vacuum, down to 35mBarA. I had one for my rubbers, but he didn't like the fumes that came off the resin. Used for its original purpose (brake vacuum) it would be Ok.

You could find one in a pick and pull easy enough.

The Z31 300ZX Turbo has a Vacuum Pump and a "Surge Tank" installed fore of the drivers front wheel, just behind the front turn signal. I believe the "Surge Tank" operates as the reservoir, which is necessary if you don't want to have the pump come on every time you press the brakes. It provides a higher vacuum draw, and allows the pump to run cooler and only turn on after repeated braking. The pump just stays on a bit longer every time it does turn on.

You can read up on how it's done for EV cars because they don't have a manifold vacuum source either;http://www.amphibike.org/index.cgi?page=pages/3_wheels/mr2/ev_powerBrakes

doesn't the s52b30 have this line here, though? i see a check valve, which is a sure sign of a brake booster line:

CoPT4R1.jpg

in any case, here's a relatively inexpensive kit utilizing the pump you posted. perhaps you can source the part numbers and get it cheaper:

http://www.electricmotorsport.com/electric-12v-vacuum-pump-brake-booster-kit-with-reservoir.html

Thank you... Thank you very much. I also do Jive, and I'm studying Klingon.

So let me see if I understand this pump thing. On some cars like Volvo, and VW, they don't use manifold vacuum for the brake booster, but instead us an electric pump to generate that vacuum? If that's the case... Why? Isn't it a lot cheaper to just use manifold vacuum?

36 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

So let me see if I understand this pump thing. On some cars like Volvo, and VW, they don't use manifold vacuum for the brake booster, but instead us an electric pump to generate that vacuum? If that's the case... Why? Isn't it a lot cheaper to just use manifold vacuum?

i may be wrong, but some of those cars may be diesel, and i dont think diesels have vacuum. any one else????????

Well I guess I know less about diesels than I thought I did... Why can't they use manifold vacuum on a diesel? They do generate manifold vacuum, right?

I guess if it's a turbo (which sometimes may generate positive manifold pressure) there might be a problem, but is there still an issue on a N/A diesel?