IGNORED

theft prevention

sweatybetty

Hi Derek,

Yes, two Inputs presently. Although our hardware has additional capability...

We provide speedy data once your vehicle is moved, before it exits the geozone.

A dash cam with a reasonable amount of storage on a recording loop would work too, activated if the ignition is triggered.

If your car is stolen, contacting the authorities and being able to tell them where your vehicle is, what speed it is traveling etc is key and the authorities like to catch these guys in the act! You can also forward your credentials to the authorities to download and log into your Ap so that they can track.

LoJack requires police cruisers with specific FM receivers to find and activate LoJack devices, furthermore they have to be within 20 miles to activate...we do not specify special hardware. 

Best,

R

Derek, I had the same concerns about the FAQ. It also looks like they only have one product.

Ron, I am not being clear. I'm not looking for a sales pitch. What I wanted is information about what it's like to use a device like this from someone who has actually uses one. So, same question I asked earlier: have you personally used either of these devices (or another one like them)? Do you have them installed on your vehicle(s)? How long have you been running them? What has your experience been?

Finally, I just called my insurance guy, and I'd save about 5% per year on my comprehensive insurance with the device installed, but of course other policies could be different (mine is a regular policy through Travelers, not a collector's policy, and it's for agreed-value). So, in my case, the savings from insurance is pretty negligible.

14 hours ago, rc240z said:

We provide speedy data once your vehicle is moved, before it exits the geozone.

So I can assume that vehicle speed data is constantly being uploaded to your servers? Is this correct? Do you store this data and for how long. 

Derek,

Clarification: what i mean by "speedy" data is once your vehicle moves we update its location every 30 seconds, or anytime it turns more than 3 degrees. 

Vehicle speed info is available on the Ap when the vehicle is moving in "real time". 

We store all of our data and make it available for two months. However we do not currently have historical speed information available on our Ap.

We have received and complied with requests outside that two month window for specific times and instances when requested.

z boy mn,

To clarify your comments above:

I use two Geo Sky devices, one on my daily driver the other on my race trailer. GeoSky has tested numerous other products as well, but I am generally not involved with those tests.

I have used GeoSky devices for 2+ years and they work exceptionally well, they notify me quickly and accurately. I have driven 50,000 miles on my vehicles with them, though different parts of the pacific southwest. I have traveled to areas that have limited or no cell coverage and still had excellent history reporting.

I have my race trailer wired up so that if the doors are opened on my enclosed trailer I am notified. It works beautifully every time, and notifies me in 38 seconds like clockwork. I use a bulkhead antenna unit on the trailer.

The other unit is installed in my truck, and is an internal antenna unit. Like the unit in my trailer it is very accurate as well, with swift notification. 

I have not had any false alerts. I have seen a little GPS satellite drift. When my trailer sits for a prolonged period of time, I can pull up the history and it will appear that it has moved slightly (a couple of feet) in multiple directions over a long time period.

I collect all notifications via email and sms messaging.

I have not personally had a vehicle stolen.

Edited by rc240z

15 minutes ago, rc240z said:

We have received and complied with requests outside that two month window for specific times and instances when requested.

I'm sure that this kind of data collection is probably industry standard but one of my complaints about this is I'm leaving some solid documentation of how fast, when and where I've been driving. This is one of the drawbacks in my mind. As a plugged in society we are loosing more and more of our anonymity. I would prefer a system that allows me to choose when it transmits speed data. For me it would be if it is outside of the GEO fence and assumed stolen. 

Now excuse me while I put my tin foil hat back on:)

Derek,

All of our Data is SSL Encrypted from end to end. It is not public data it is private.

We do not maintain speed records nor can they be accessed via the Ap accept in real time, by selecting that feature which gives you a single snapshot at that time. So, yes you have to choose when you want that information. IE your vehicle has gone missing.

There is no industry standard for saving this data. We do respect the wishes of our customers specifically.

We store historical data for a 2 month window for our customers use only. On occasion, at the specific request of our customer we have provided reporting beyond that two month time frame.

R

rc240z, that's the info I was looking for--thanks. I'd be interested in the regular antenna so as not to draw unwanted attention (or give them something to remove). I share some Derek's apprehension about speed data, or just data in general hanging out there--especially with Putin in the mix--but I understand that the system needs data to operate, so it'll just be a compromise. I can always turn off the device (or disconnect it...maybe with a switch), that will act as my "tinfoil hat" if I get worried. ;-D

Z boy mn,

Since our unit has a connectorized wiring harness, unplug it and place it someplace else. Remember, GeoSky has an internal battery, and it works! so disconnecting power will not defeat this device, instead you will get a low external battery notification, and it will continue to track until it has exhausted the internal battery.

I should also mention that our unit is fairly nondescript so it is possible to hide it in plain sight.

Have a good day! 

R

21 hours ago, Derek said:

Now excuse me while I put my tin foil hat back on

The technical term is "AFDB" - Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanie

Details can be found at http://zapatopi.net/afdb/ - An Effective, Low-Cost Solution To Combating Mind-Control

And I know you are quite good with mechanical stuff, but just in case... Here's construction details:  http://zapatopi.net/afdb/build.html

lizhurley.jpg