IGNORED

RHD Fairlady S30 gas pedal

hr369

40 minutes ago, Gav240z said:

$412 USD, but I took a regular clock as a 'core' exchange. Since I was getting multiple clocks restored by Ron and I was sending them in bulk to him for refurbishment until we ran out of quartz movements to fix the early Jeco clocks.

LOL you do quite a business in clocks. This was a while ago?  I haven't seen any jeco's converted to quartz on ebay lately or you're hoarding?

BTW,  have you ever seen a signal seeker hitach am/fm 8 track?

IMG_3175.JPG.aada98d8409ffa72f5d110af0ec8c632.JPG

Edited by hr369

I avoid eBay where possible. The fees can be outrageous and destroy my profit margins which are razor thin to begin with.

I just happen to come across about 10 quartz mechanisms and then managed to find 10 Jeco clocks (nobody seems to want converted 260/280 clocks).

It only makes sense for me to have these refurbished in bulk. Gotta factor in international shipping + currency conversion etc..

I've sold most of the clocks I had converted and have a couple more I've been too lazy to list for sale.

Given how hard it is to find these parts now I'm sort of ok with keeping a few spares for my own cars to be honest.

I do see 8 track radios from time to time but quite rare.

I've got about 8 TM-1081ZB radios I'm going to refurbish. I might need to pick your brain re: Auto seek function repair a couple of them don't move in either 1 direction or both.

I also need to improve fine tuning of the radios.

23 minutes ago, Gav240z said:

I avoid eBay where possible. The fees can be outrageous and destroy my profit margins which are razor thin to begin with.

I just happen to come across about 10 quartz mechanisms and then managed to find 10 Jeco clocks (nobody seems to want converted 260/280 clocks).

It only makes sense for me to have these refurbished in bulk. Gotta factor in international shipping + currency conversion etc..

I've sold most of the clocks I had converted and have a couple more I've been too lazy to list for sale.

Given how hard it is to find these parts now I'm sort of ok with keeping a few spares for my own cars to be honest.

I do see 8 track radios from time to time but quite rare.

I've got about 8 TM-1081ZB radios I'm going to refurbish. I might need to pick your brain re: Auto seek function repair a couple of them don't move in either 1 direction or both.

I also need to improve fine tuning of the radios.

check out the picture i just edited the post and added it. Most of the hitachi's you see are AM only right?

Very important to have a clean antenna jack and plug in a real antenna to the jack. Not just a piece of wire. Proper voltage is important too. Make sure its a good power supply. 

Not scanning could be a couple problems.  Electrical or mechanical. First check mechanical. Clean all the moving linkage and spray deoxit into all the linkage and lube with auto electronic lube. There are alot of moving parts to that

auto tune. If it's electrical then you can try prodding and poking with a plastic probe onto the circuit board while it's running to see if you have a cold solder joint.

edit: "either 1 direction"   means the little motor direction switch needs cleaning.  When it reaches the end of the scan a little switch is turned that changes the direction of the motor.

Spray deoxit inside this switch. The switch is right on the top side and easy to get to.

Edited by hr369
  • Like 1

The radio you posted above is a later 74+ year radio.

I tend to not pay much attention to the later stuff myself and look for the earlier stuff. Early Fairlady Z-L radio's. I've come across a few.

But if I spot any later radio's I'll keep you in mind.

Thanks for the tips re: radio.

Here is a radio I bought from Europe, seller didn't add any protective packaging and guess what? It looks to have been crushed in 1 corner... I found a bit of PCB which looked like it had some 'circuit' on it. I will have to open it up and assess the damage. Who sends something like this with no packaging? I'm surprised the faceplate wasn't annihilated..

I'll start a new thread for the radio repair work.. So far most of them work, just a couple of niggles like those described. Pretty impressive.

IMG_20161114_170924.jpg

IMG_20161114_170930.jpg

IMG_20161114_170935.jpg

IMG_20161114_170959.jpg

Hope you didn't pay much for that thing. Gonna be alot of work getting it looking good. You can epoxy the circuit board back together if it's broken and fortunately you have a schematic for it.

I tend to like the later s30 and s31 better because it's the car everyone in high school dreamed of owning back in my day. I remember looking at a huge long row of them at the datsun dealer in the summer of 78

and dreaming of owning one. You sure like the calendar clocks and they're not from pre-74 LOL

I paid more than I care to think about, but the worst part was the seller was totally indifferent to it... *sigh*. Hopefully I can get it working and the damage was just cosmetic...

Nostalgia certainly is a factor, my first car was a 1973 110 red Datsun 240z and I just fell in love with the 240z's from that point on. I've had a later 260z 2+2 which I did enjoy driving but the shape was never quite the same as the 2 seater for me. Still a great car from the drivers seat.

I've only got 1 Calendar Clock at the moment, but no car to put it in. I'm sure at some point someone will want it though. But the face on it, is just a copy of the earlier Rally Clock ;).

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/22/2016 at 4:21 AM, sweatybetty said:

yep, i would like to put it in the 240. keep me in mind

Ok, finally finished this project. Still interested? What do you think is a fair price?  I can offer a 6 month guarantee from the time you get your car finished and running.

calendar-clock-240z-3.jpg

calendarclock240z-2.jpg

calendarclock240z.jpg

IMG6_3272.JPG

Edited by hr369
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...