IGNORED

Motorman's Build

motorman7

Thanks everyone for the nice comments.   Finally able to work on the car again here.  Work was super busy the last two weeks so was not able to do as much as I wanted.

I did get the emergency brake cable in sans retaining clips.  Next time I will install this before the drive shaft goes in.  I had to drop the shaft in order to  get the cable into the hand brake mechanism. 

Got a passenger side taillight from 'Montezuma'.  Thanks Dave, looks great.  Now I am waiting for the bumpers to come back from the chrome shop to finish out the back end.  Should get those back in a week or two.

Got the smog parts that sit on the balance tube zinced today.  That went well.  Also got the inspection light zinced today.  I was thinking of just buying a light, but the price for the lights has gotten insane.  It was smarter just to plate the old one that I had laying around.  It came out pretty well.  Also got the air warmer tube in.  Here are the latest pic

If all goes well, I will have the exhaust system put in tomorrow.

DSCF3624.JPG

DSCF3623.JPG

DSCF3618.JPG

DSCF3614.JPG

• Like 3

Got the exhaust system in today....very cool.   It took about two hours of sanding and wire wheeling to clean the outside of the exhaust.  After a final sand with 80 grit, I used the phosphoric acid to etch the steel and minimize further rust.   The exhaust actually is very solid.  After the etch, I did a clean with paint prep thinner and then sprayed with high temp aluminum paint.   Nice to see the Nichira name on both mufflers.  Now i just need to figure out how that one hanger attaches.  

Also cannibalized the original style fuel pump from my yellow Z and installed that.  I had a new aftermarket pump laying around so put that in the yellow Z.  Yellow Z will eventually get an LS motor, but that is down the road.

Also got the Speedo cable installed, mostly.

DSCF3626.JPG

DSCF3629.JPG

DSCF3634.JPG

DSCF3637.JPG

DSCF3635.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Zedyone.  It's the details that make the car.  Makes everything go slow, but it looks nice and is easy to work on when it's done.

I put the starter in along with the Battery cables.  Did a bench test on the starter using the bench vice and 12 Volt battery charger. Both motor and solenoid worked well.

Finished the smog parts, hoses and clamps.  Will finish up the carbs over the next week or two.   I threw on the air cleaner just for the pics.  The air cleaner was powder coated and decals applied.

Got the weather stripping in on the rear hatch.  Went in easy enough, but I still hate doing weather stripping.  The only part I like about doing the weatherstripping is peeling the glue off of my fingers.

Cleaned up and painted the bumper support brackets and just picked up the freshly chromed bumpers this AM from West Coast Plating.   Will attach those in the next week or two.  Also got new rubber strips for the bumpers.  They should look nice when done.

Attached are latest update pics.

DSC_0204.JPG

DSC_0206.JPG

DSC_0213.JPG

DSC_0212.JPG

DSC_0210.JPG

DSC_0214.JPG

• Like 2