IGNORED

Found metal at the bottom of my 5-speed. What next?

KDMatt

mines been on hold, I like to get little stuff out of the way, esp since my 4 speed is working fine. Today was pull the tank and replace the o ring. After doing all that I realized I did not need to pull the tank, but live and learn. The new O ring by the way seems to be too thin, I hope it works as I was having a leak I 'think" was there. I also go the new filler neck installed to replace the old rusty one, and picked up a nice gas cap chain at ACE hardware to replace the ragged one I had. I am still looking to make up some speaker brackets for factory located speaker on the passenger side. I am just glad to follow your progress, things you encounter will go into my thought process when I do the trans swap.

• Like 1

@Dave WM I think the only special insight I can offer you at this stage in the game is that one of the "game-changing" tools for me during this process was my little endoscope camera. I used it 3 times, but it really helped me get my transmission aligned to put it back into the car.  Just like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5-1-5M-5-5mm-Android-Endoscope-Waterproof-Borescope-Inspection-Camera-6-LED-/231719182188?var=&hash=item35f38a1f6c:m:mdmjLJQX3qUovPlP4X4jYIw 

2 meters long -- perfect for inspecting all those hard-to-see places (like the inside of your bellhousing when it's up on a jack) Plug it into your android phone (or PC), download an app, and boom now you can see in all of those hard to reach places.

Also, going without saying, the cheap transmission jack from Harbor freight was a big help. http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/transmission-jacks/450-lb-low-lift-transmission-jack-61232.html

I'm glad you got something out of this thread, dude. :) If I can do it you can too!

(Also, I'm sorry to say I did not drive around my neighborhood with open headers like you suggested... so I was not a menace to society last week... :unsure:)

For the record, this is what my workspace looked like when all was said and done -- between the transmission/clutch job, and building/hanging a new 2.5" exhaust, I made quite a mess. :P

I spent about 2 hours yesterday just cleaning up and putting things away.

IMG_20160521_190333988.jpg

That Borescope inspection camera is something I need to get. My Audi has a water leak at the back of a new coolant flange that I just installed. Several different ports, all -O-ring fittings so leak could be at any one of three different places. Can't see anything with the naked eye, but a Borescope like that would be perfect. Less than $15 !! That's amazing. Thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rossiz said:

hey kd, does that endoscope work with an iphone/ipad? it says android on the ebay link.

I don't believe it does -- however there's a USB attachment that'll let you plug it into a PC Laptop. I haven't tried it that way yet, so no guarantees on compatibility. Sorry dude!