IGNORED

1971 HLS30-14938 "Lily" build

Patcon

Sorry this happened - I can imagine how you felt when it happened, and how you feel now.  

Regarding the best option for dashes, I believe Vintage Dashes is the best option.   When I bought mine, in came in a box via UPS/Fedex.  You have to re-use your metal frame, but removing the old and mounting the new on the frame is not difficult. 

I don't recommend Just Dashes. They repair the existing dashboard.  They retain a lot of the original foam which is old and brittle.  And, if the dash has large cracks, the "pieces" have moved somewhat from the their original locations when the pad was all one piece.  I had one done by them years ago and it ended up having fit issues around the glove box door and being a tad oversize... with the gauges fitting extremely tight.  I feel like the result would be questionable at best for a pad that is cracked severely.  And, I think they are even more expensive than Vintage Dashes.   

Garrett

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Dang that sucks. I used just dashes. Took forever to get it back but I was pretty pleased with their work. Like inline said, the gauges did fit tight. It looked to me that they replaced the entire foam as they repainted the whole frame and all the foam appeared fresh.

I got a local shop to get a new windshield. I think it was around 250 or 300. I guess I got lucky putting it in. I really lubed it up with some silicone rubber lube. Gasket and frame. I remember thinking, this thing is too big to fit when I got up to the top. I just kept pushing it down and went slow. Are you using an oem gasket? Maybe the old windshield was just brittle. 

I have two spare windshields ( not OEM) if you want one. They are in ok condition.  

I guess the silver lining is that you broke it and not your helper.

Glad to hear you are making progress!!

20220430_132817.jpg

20221223_141247.jpg

59 minutes ago, emccallum said:

Dang that sucks. I used just dashes. Took forever to get it back but I was pretty pleased with their work.

20220430_132817.jpg

Just Dashes has been in business a long time and has many happy customers.  I see that the before state of your dash was not that bad - the cracks are not very large.  When the original pad has huge, deep cracks and has "expanded" in size, I think repairing it by grinding down the old foam and layering new on top is not a great idea.  

Here is a video from their website. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Patcon said:

I had a new windshield put in my truck today. While they were here I had them put a new windshield in Lily. It took them maybe 20 minutes. About $300 and they'll warranty it

20240222_105606_resized.jpg

Did they do anything special to get the windshield to go into the car so easily?  

18 minutes ago, Patcon said:

II also received these from DriftHQ the other day. These adapt the factory hub spindle to to the 300ZX turbo CV axles

20240221_204813_resized.jpg

Do you have some axles?  They're hard to find.  People have reported that the aftermarket replacement axles are longer than the factory units and bind.  

I think that those adapters might cause binding also.  The only adapters that seem to work are the ones that use the original axle flange as the mating surface and build the adapter around it.

Something to be aware of.  If you have adjustable control arms you can always widen the track.

Here's a thread about it, with a picture pulled out.

https://forums.hybridz.org/topic/128943-z31t-axle-swap-can-fit/#comment-1204163

image.png

• Like 1

Went down the same road you are speaking of the first time.  I’m running ZX turbo axles now with no issues. The adapters you portray was my initial try and yes they bind on the left side. Was hoping the adapters @Patcon found would alleviate that. I’ve got aftermarket axles never used on my shelf collecting dust.

Edited by Yarb
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, inline6 said:

Did they do anything special to get the windshield to go into the car so easily?  

I don't know, I didn't want to stand over them but they weren't in the shop long. I suspect a new piece of glass is a little more forgiving too.

I have the original axles from the donor car. What is the best way to check for binding?