IGNORED

Wheel Size Question...

texasz

Originally posted by escapedan

...I am looking forward to being able to eventually answer questions instead of just asking them!!

he he. That's what I thought too but here I am still asking the questions. Guess I'm still an aprentice. These guys are a fantastic bunch so don't feel bad asking any question.

• 3 weeks later...

Tourniqet,

I have coilovers on all four corners, 10" free length springs up front and 8" free length springs in the rear. My wheels are 17 x 8 up front and 17 x 9 in the rear. Tires are 215-40 x 17 front and 235-40 x 17 rear. I can assure you they do not rub any where! I've seen guys with the same wheel setup as mine with even bigger tires......generally, 225-45 x 17 front and 245-45 x 17 rear. If you visit my gallery you can view my setup on my 240. The lowest part of my 240 is at 3 3/4" above the road surface. Mind you, I don't drive through shopping centers with speed bumps!!! Anyway, this setup has been successfully done by many z owners. Good luck with your adventure. Hope this helps you out a little.

Well,

The fuel pressure gauge is a Mallory 3 port (one return line to the tank). The fuel lines I made up myself from SS tubing. The electric fan was purchased from Motorsport Auto (see their cataloge). It was really fun redoing my Z, but it's much much more fun to drive!!! I never knew a Z could corner so well...and its only a street car. Can you believe the paint job, it's the only thing I didn't address. It's the same paint that was on it when I got the car, over 20 years ago. Of course it has always lived in a garage too! If you ever need advice on your project, feel free to inquire and I will assist you if I can. Thanks for the kudo's

Tourniqet,

To get the wheels to fit within the stock wheelhouse you will first have to use a coilover setup with a 8" free-length spring. The rear wheels I purchased ( I got them used ) have an offset of 35mm, so I had to fabricate custom spacers to aquire the correct position. Mind you, I have about 1/8" clearance between the inside edge of the rear wheel and the strut. It took some calculating to get it right the first time. But, as you can see it turned out well with no rubs anywhere. I forgot to mention that all my struts have been shortened 1 1/2". This is not required but by doing so you will have better usable shock travel with a lowered car. The rear tire size is 235-40 x 17 however, I've seen this setup using 245-45 x 17 with no problems. Clearances on this setup are very close. Hope this answers your inquirey.

Respectfully,

240ZX

• 3 months later...
Originally posted by 240ZX

Tourniqet,

To get the wheels to fit within the stock wheelhouse you will first have to use a coilover setup with a 8" free-length spring. The rear wheels I purchased ( I got them used ) have an offset of 35mm, so I had to fabricate custom spacers to aquire the correct position. Mind you, I have about 1/8" clearance between the inside edge of the rear wheel and the strut. It took some calculating to get it right the first time. But, as you can see it turned out well with no rubs anywhere. I forgot to mention that all my struts have been shortened 1 1/2". This is not required but by doing so you will have better usable shock travel with a lowered car. The rear tire size is 235-40 x 17 however, I've seen this setup using 245-45 x 17 with no problems. Clearances on this setup are very close. Hope this answers your inquirey.

Respectfully,

240ZX

What kind of rims are those? Are they still available from places?

SuDZ