IGNORED

Bringing back the RedZ

DaveR

Dave,

Congrats!!  It looks like an incredible find for around $10K.  I would say you did very well on it.

I live in the NW Suburbs of Chicago.  It is interesting that you found one so close to me.  I would not have thought that there would be an original, rust-free 240Z in Chicago.  What town was it in and how did you find it?

Marty

Sellers were in Brookfield, and this one has been sitting in storage since 1980. It was clearly loved dearly before it was stored, as I have every receipt and scrap of paper from the day it was bought new.  Even receipts for $2 for new fuel filters  LOL   I don't think it saw many winters prior to going into storage, and original paperwork shows it had rustproofing done at the time of purchase.

I'm sure there is SOME rust somewhere, but I've looked pretty good and it's definitely elusive and minimal. As long as i don't screw it up, I'm sure I won't have much to worry about it for a long time.

That said, what can I do to prevent any rust from forming in the future? I don't plan to drive it in anything but warm sunny days, but are there areas I can seal up now to prevent water from creeping where it doesn't belong? (i'm thinking the spots where it runs under the firewall and destroys the floor pans?)

I don't want to feel like I am doing damage just by washing the car, so anything I can put in place at the start of my ownership I will gladly do. It's obviously garage kept, without any sun to cause harm.

-Dave

Edited by DaveR

Sellers were in Brookfield, and this one has been sitting in storage since 1980. It was clearly loved dearly before it was stored, as I have every receipt and scrap of paper from the day it was bought new.  Even receipts for $2 for new fuel filters  LOL   I don't think it saw many winters prior to going into storage, and original paperwork shows it had rustproofing done at the time of purchase.

I'm sure there is SOME rust somewhere, but I've looked pretty good and it's definitely elusive and minimal. As long as i don't screw it up, I'm sure I won't have much to worry about it for a long time.

That said, what can I do to prevent any rust from forming in the future? I don't plan to drive it in anything but warm sunny days, but are there areas I can seal up now to prevent water from creeping where it doesn't belong? (i'm thinking the spots where it runs under the firewall and destroys the floor pans?)

I don't want to feel like I am doing damage just by washing the car, so anything I can put in place at the start of my ownership I will gladly do. It's obviously garage kept, without any sun to cause harm.

-Dave

Brookfield is about 30 - 40 minutes from me.  Was it listed on Craigslist?

There is a drain tube from the cowl area that dumps down at the rear part of the front fenders.  It often get clogged with leaves and debris, leading to rusting out the lower part of the fender.  Make sure that drain tube is clear.  One of our members, Escanlon wrote up a fix to improve the drainage from that area.  sorry, but I don't have time to search for it right now.

It was, but not for very long. I'd been searching 100% of Craiglist daily for the last 6 or so months to keep tabs on prices and trends.  Bought a house in September with a 2 car garage, and it made ownership of a classic a reality at long last. I knew I wanted a 240, I knew I wanted it red, and I knew I wanted the body/paint as good as i could get them. 

I actually flew out there to inspect it in person and close the deal.  Was very happy to become the second owner, especially with a PO who clearly cherished it just as much as I certainly will. Glad to carry the torch from here.  I'll shoot him a letter when I have it all sorted out and its humming again. 

Never thought I would go to another northern/snowy state to buy a minimal rust 240, but hey... it worked out that way.

This is the car that sealed my fate on future z ownership:

4287255986_68dd1dc072_b.jpg

Needless to say, that's what I am aiming for. I do need to figure out a decent tire to run with those 15" Panasports though. I am partial to Continental DW, but they don't make them in 15" sizes.

Edited by DaveR

Never thought I would go to another northern/snowy state to buy a minimal rust 240, but hey... it worked out that way.

I know what you mean.  I found my rust-free blue '70 in Cleveland.  I had to go all the way to South Carolina for my yellow '71 and that was not totally rust free.

Working on a rust free car is MUCH more enjoyable.  Have fun with it.

Dave, welcome to the forum, looks like you found yourself an excellent Z to start with.

I think there is some underlying connection  between Z's and Subarus, I have owned subes for 30 yrs and I know at least 6 guys in our local Z club who own one as well.

Sounds like you have a good plan for a rolling resto, I agree that everything in the fuel system needs to checked, cleaned or replaced. New hoses no matter what, blast out fuel lines with carb cleaner and an air gun, scrub the tank inside and out and seal it up. The more through you are the less problems you will have in the future.

At 29,000 miles your engine should be in excellent condition, once you have blown the cobwebs out of the carbs I think you will be surprised a just how peppy an L24 is.

You mentioned ZTherapy carbs, mine just arrived today,

http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/52902-got-to-love-ztherapy/#entry482004

Looking forward to your progress,

Chris

Congrats you dirty dog.  I found one recently with 59k miles on it.  Exact same color.  It is in great shape but yours is twice as nice.  I don't have any rust but I will be cleaning 45 years of dust forever.   :)

I hope you plan to keep it stock. 

I will be anxiously watching what you do with your tires and wheels.  I have the same dilemma.  Its always nice to have the exact same car to compare to. If the tires and rims are not proportioned correctly, it changes the whole look of the car IMO.