IGNORED

Bringing back the RedZ

DaveR

electrical-- See datsundave/ David Irwin for the parking light and headlight harness relay kits. It will save your fuse block and combo switch. He also has a couple of other bits, front side marker to turn indicator conversion.

All of these are plug and play, no modifications to original wiring or connectors.

I had the deposits at the thermostat housing and water outlet too on a car that sat for 30 years. Like you, I flushed it out and ran clear.  Maybe the rubber, aluminum and antifreeze reacted together.

I would say that is a $30K car now, except for the back carpeting. ;-)

Edited by Darrel

Looks really great, what a fantastic years worth of work!

"Ignition:
- Original points still in place for now "

Interesting that you have retained the points in the ignition system,  I was recently discussing his points fired 73 with Zup, and we wondered how many cars there were on ClassicZ still running this technology.  Well Jim, it appears there is at least one other besides you. :)

2 hours ago, Darrel said:

All of these are plug and play, no modifications to original wiring or connectors

I would say that is a $30K car now, except for the back carpeting. ;-)

While those electrical updates are in the future, I've gone beyond my immediate budget on fixes. :)  Is there any driving situation I can avoid to prevent damage to those components in the interim?

As for the carpet... I know :) i need to find someone who needs all the bits besides the back, and go in with them on a purchase.

Also, I have it insured at 20k, but I would definitely be curious you guys think that is enough. Certainly in the next few years I imagine it may be a little low. 

Edited by DaveR

14 minutes ago, DaveR said:

While those electrical updates are in the future, I've gone beyond my immediate budget on fixes. :)  Is there any driving situation I can avoid to prevent damage to those components in the interim?

As for the carpet... I know :) i need to find someone who needs all the bits besides the back, and go in with them on a purchase.

Also, I have it insured at 20k, but I would definitely be curious you guys think that is enough. Certainly in the next few years I imagine it may be a little low. 

Don't drive at night, but if you have to you can take the fuse block out and soak in vinegar and rinse off to keep it from building up corrosion. The fuse block contacts are riveted and can build up causing a lot of resistance.

3 hours ago, S30Driver said:

Looks really great, what a fantastic years worth of work!

"Ignition:
- Original points still in place for now "

Interesting that you have retained the points in the ignition system,  I was recently discussing his points fired 73 with Zup, and we wondered how many cars there were on ClassicZ still running this technology.  Well Jim, it appears there is at least one other besides you. :)

Great work Great looking Z

On this note I also have the points ignition.

Rock solid performance if you maintain it.

Casey

• Like 1

So I played around with timing and dwell today for the first time ever. Installed new points and used my old school dwell meter to set the dwell angle at ~38 degrees.

Went on to timing, with my previously smogged 240. Seemed to be consistent with the D612-52 distributor.   At 3k rpm set the advanced timing to 34 degrees (via advanced settings on timing light).  Backed it down to my idle ~800 rpm, and it was at 10 degrees.   Seems consistent with the 24 degrees centrifugal advance that that dizzy should have.  Dwell at 3k rpm was 35 degrees.

Car feels pretty good, but frankly it felt good before.  Previous setting had dwell at 42-43 degrees and probably about as much advance. (pretty much maxed out the adjustment I have on the dizzy's pedestal.)

Do these numbers seem in a good range for this dizzy and my points setup?  Not sure what the dwell should be at 3k rpm, i wasn't even sure if it should have been changing from idle to 3k.