IGNORED

Bringing back the RedZ

DaveR

You did really well at that price! The car looks great and it is much nicer to start with a very solid car. Rust and paint work seems to be where most projects bog down. Replace the rubber fuel lines and tank vent lines, clean the carbs up and sort the brakes. then put some miles on it before you decide on anything else. Some people opt for the L28 some rebuild the L24 some people get someone like Datsun Spirit to build a HP L24. Miles on the road will help solidify your goals.

The Z is in great shape, congrats and have fun with her.

OT: few guys here in NW burbs, never see any other Zs but nice to know you guys are out here.

PMG

Where are you located?  If you haven't already, join the Windy City Z Club.  When they have their shows you can see plenty of nice Z's.

I rarely see another old Z on the road.  Just this summer I saw a 280Z a couple of times at Dundee and Rt. 53.  I didn't get a good look at it, but it looked a little rough, definitely needing a paint job.

It was, but not for very long. I'd been searching 100% of Craiglist daily for the last 6 or so months to keep tabs on prices and trends.  Bought a house in September with a 2 car garage, and it made ownership of a classic a reality at long last. I knew I wanted a 240, I knew I wanted it red, and I knew I wanted the body/paint as good as i could get them. 

I actually flew out there to inspect it in person and close the deal.  Was very happy to become the second owner, especially with a PO who clearly cherished it just as much as I certainly will. Glad to carry the torch from here.  I'll shoot him a letter when I have it all sorted out and its humming again. 

Never thought I would go to another northern/snowy state to buy a minimal rust 240, but hey... it worked out that way.

This is the car that sealed my fate on future z ownership:

4287255986_68dd1dc072_b.jpg

Needless to say, that's what I am aiming for. I do need to figure out a decent tire to run with those 15" Panasports though. I am partial to Continental DW, but they don't make them in 15" sizes.

I drooled over this very pic when I was searching for my Z in 2007.   That car has the look doesn't it.

Where are you located? If you haven't already, join the Windy City Z Club. When they have their shows you can see plenty of nice Z's.

I rarely see another old Z on the road. Just this summer I saw a 280Z a couple of times at Dundee and Rt. 53. I didn't get a good look at it, but it looked a little rough, definitely needing a paint job.

I've been to one of their meets, I believe it was in Addison 2 summers ago. Nice group of guys. I haven't joined because I can't commit to the time. I just parked my 280 in the other side of the lot to not infringe on their car show.

I'm in Inverness, by South Barrington/Schaumburg area. I'm by Dundee a lot to visit my parents in Buffalo Grove.

PMG

I've been to one of their meets, I believe it was in Addison 2 summers ago. Nice group of guys. I haven't joined because I can't commit to the time. I just parked my 280 in the other side of the lot to not infringe on their car show.

I'm in Inverness, by South Barrington/Schaumburg area. I'm by Dundee a lot to visit my parents in Buffalo Grove.

PMG

So, is your 280Z blue and needing paint?  Maybe I saw you getting onto RT 53. I live right near Arlington Heights Road and Lake Cook Road.

Marty

Siteunseen,  (saw your post in another thread) can you shed some light into the bending of the rear brake hardlines that is required to move to the 1972+ wheel cylinders?  With no rebuild kits available, and my rear brakes certainly needing some love... I want to weigh my options.

You also mentioned swapping L to R hard lines in the back to make it easier. Were you at all worried when bending those lines that you were going to damage them or introduce a weak point?

Thanks

Edited by DaveR

So here's another question for you guys.  The car was scratched a bit during transport, and the shipping company (Horseless Carriage) is offering me $200 to have the scratches buffed out. I have no idea how paint work is done on these old cars, and if this is a reasonable amount for the work that needs to be done. Because the car is not currently running I can't bring it anywhere to have it looked at.

What do you guys think?  Can you give me any details about the paint on these cars so I might be better equipped on the phone when talking to body shops?

IMG_2347.jpg

IMG_2346.jpg

They are not terribly deep, and not super noticeable from all angles.  I just want the option to have them fixed properly if that is what I decide to do.  

Edited by DaveR

Can you catch them with your finger nail? If they don't feel real deep they can probably be buffed out. The paint looks like single stage but hard to know from a picture. You could experiment with some paste wax and see if you can polish out a little section of a scratch. If you can make it look right by hand a body shop will have no problem making them right. As for costs I don't know, a phone call would be in order.

It's pretty shallow, probably only just barely catch able by a fingernail.  The one on the fender even less so.  Doesn't seem like it's so bad, so maybe what they quoted isn't way out of whack.

Still sad that it happened though :(