IGNORED

What about a 3.6L Chevy V6 Transplant?

djwarner

Thanks for the info. I believe our attorney is setting up at least one more visit to retrieve evidence before we release the vehicle. Assuming I can get there and can take measurements, what should I be looking for? Also what photos?

BTW the LFX engine in the 2012 Camaro is a normally aspirated, variable valve timing, direct injected engine producing 323 HP. It only weighs 345lbs. Has an integral exhaust manifold in the heads and an integral cast oil pan. Transmission is an MYB-6L50 and weighs in at 187-198lbs.

It might be interesting to double the horsepower for about the same weight and doubling the number of transmission gears.

Edited by djwarner

• 1 month later...

And so it begins..........

After a few false starts, I won the auction for the Camaro and it was delivered to my garage today. Copart does not collect sales tax and therefore insisted I go through a broker. Broker fees, Copart fees, tax, and title put the purchase price near the top end of what I wanted to pay. But fortunately I found there will be more parts to salvage than what I expected to help offset the costs.

The hood has a small dent but is salvagable. The front fenders, passenger door, rocker panels and convertible top are all in perfect condition. The wheels are 20" diameter painted aluminum. Two of which have some curb rash, but repairable. 

On the down side, the passenger rear suspension was impacted moving the wheel 4" forward rubbing the fender well.

We inspected the engine compartment before it went up for auction and found the engine was only 21" wide. Having the exhaust manifold integrally cast in the heads means no header clearance problems. Length measurement show we should have no figment issues. 

One reason for buying a whole car instead of just a pulled engine and transmission from a third party is that all of the wiring harnesses are complete. Also the car was an LT model with the RS package so there are a lot of other goodies like a green glass review mirror with an imbedded rear view camera screen, HUD, and cruise control. Also the instrument panel will fit nicely in a z dash and it has four analog engine gauges. 

Of course all this will require more info than what you can find scouring the Internet, so I've order a full set of factory service manuals. 

And I'm also beginning a search for a rolling chassis to put it in. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

3 hours ago, djwarner said:

Thanks for caring Cliff. She still requires some additional surgeries but the type of surgeons she needs do not accept Medicare insurance. So we are having to wait for the suit to wend its way through the courts. 

I hate that! Hopefully the wait won't be too long...

• 4 weeks later...

I've been frustrated looking for a candidate Z to receive my LFX/6L50 with the added technical problem of devising an engine mount. Just about any local candidate is extremely rough and/or missing tons of serviceable interior components. This doesn't even mention the price being asked for rolling shells. Considering what hybrid Z's are going for these days, it's getting hard to make any economic sense.

While looking for mounts I've found a company that makes one to fit the LFX into the Miata who might be willing to design/fabricate one for the Z. Frustrated in finding a serviceable Z, I've begun looking at a Miata candidate. Being readily available, I find they are also have similar weight and wheel track to the Z. Also they offer antilock brakes, air bags, etc.

So before taking to the dark side, I'm putting out the call for anyone with a serviceable Z that they would like to see living a happier, longer life. Obviously, price would be dependent on completeness and condition. I'm not a sheet metal worker. Engine and transmission condition is obviously not important as they will be replaced.

Please PM with candidates, otherwise your comments on the Miata would be welcome in this thread.

• 6 months later...

I'm a firm believer that any engine will "fit" and run if you're willing to do the work necessary to make it to that point.

in any case, a Z31 would take that engine with minor subframe issues that can be solved, and you have the opportunity to turbo the engine on the cheap by making a set of relocation pipes very easily for those stupid cast-in-head manifolds.

330hp can be 500hp on a slightly increased budget. 

and i'm sure there is either a JK40C/CD009 or T56/TR6060 transmission option that will fit with an adapter (probably the most costly portion).

i would not even be surprised if the factory transmission mount nearly lines up with the factory Z31 mount points (as there are 2 sets of mounting pads on the Z31 trans tunnel). The auto trans with a decent trans controller might even be fun to drive. Not sure how it would deal with 500hp though. 

a Z31 with 350hp is good fun.

Edited by Careless

• 11 months later...

I had to dig up this old thread. Today at Caffeine and Octane (Atlanta's version of Cars and Coffee) a guy parked behind me with a 240Z. In the engine bay was a 2010 Camaro V6. He said he had to shave the oil pan to get it to clear on the bottom. Unfortunately, the pan material will soak in some oil, and he said the new welds were weeping some oil. So, it  will definitely fit. I think the center console had to be  modified to fit the manual transmission. Sorry, no photos now, but he doesn't live too far from me. If he starts showing up to club events, I will get some photos. 

Surprised to see this thread pop up again.

After being unable to find a reasonable rolling chassis, I decided to transplant the LFX/6L50 into a 2011 hardtop convertible Miata. I chose this venue because the NC Miata could accept the engine and drivetrain with little to no body alterations. While others have mounted the LFX into Miatas with 6 speed manual trannys, This will be the first with an AT. Weight will be within 200 lbs of stock 240Z. Compared to the LS installations from Flying Miata that require serious tunnel modification, the bodywork for the NC model was a piece of cake.

V8Roadsters sells mounts, half shafts, drive shafts etc for the swap. They also sell a shortened oil pan, though it is not required for this installation.

So far I have the engine/tranny/diff installed. While the engine bay in the 240Z is enormous, the Miata was a tight fit. I had to slightly relieve (ball peen hammer) the firewall near gas pedal mount and trim some clearance on the passenger front frame rail. Also had to widen the tunnel to clear the shift linkage again ball peen hammer). Also had to remove a minor front cross brace ahead of the of the engine. Currently working on a new power steering pump bracket (version 2.0) and modifying the steering linkage to work around the exhaust downpipe.

Because of the tight fit and the water pump being mounted on the rear of the engine, I had to substitute the heater lines and radiator feed tube from a Cadillac CTS. Seems this engine has been used in a number of GM apps in both transverse mount and longitudinal mounts so lots of accessory parts are available.

Work is coming along.

Edited by djwarner
  • Like 2