IGNORED

Cataloging 240z factory manufacture paint marks

AZ-240z

1 hour ago, zspert said:

RE blue 240 currently for sale on BAT

Buyer beware and always exercise due diligence. Genuine Z experts do not come out of the woodwork.   Cheers 

Yes, its had one of his underside blow overs it seems, where he then also goes to excess trying to recreate factory paint marks.

Nice to see his boyfriends in the comments section.

On 8/29/2019 at 2:33 AM, zspert said:

I bought a couple of used control arms recently and wanted to pass this pix along to reinforce the idea that the yellow used by the factory was pretty thin.

Evidently so in the case you show, but I'm surprised that people don't seem to be ready to accept the possibility of a little chaos theory sprinkled through all this.

How about the possibility that Mr Suzuki's pot of yellow paint was running a little low, and that a little bit of thinner was added to save him opening another one? Or that Mr Yamaguchi preferred a thinned consistency whilst traditionalist Mr Mori liked a well-stirred thick daub, and young Mr Ito - who had a late night last night - didn't stir his pot as well as she should have? And all that on just one shift...

I think we should be cautious of creating set-in-stone definitions for what are human-added elements subject to natural variation.

• Like 4

I'm replacing a few parts on my Honda Insight and they have also have yellow dabs to show "fastened correctly". Makes me smile ?

When I do work, I now use a yellow paint marker. Works nicely when double checking.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/pen-paint-yellow-bright/A-p8848145e

Here is an ebay photo of an Insight Steering Knuckle with yellow dabs (Red would be from Junk Yard):

image.png

Edited by 240260280

hs30h, of course you're right. The more Z cars I work on the more anomalies I see. Also, back in the dark ages cars just weren't manufactured like today. Were out of that decal and won't get anymore until tomorrow - keep the line moving!!

If anyone would like to hear the back story of the outfit representing that 240 you'll have to ring me at my shop, 301 420 4200 M-F 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zspert said:

hs30h, of course you're right. The more Z cars I work on the more anomalies I see. Also, back in the dark ages cars just weren't manufactured like today. Were out of that decal and won't get anymore until tomorrow - keep the line moving!!

If anyone would like to hear the back story of the outfit representing that 240 you'll have to ring me at my shop, 301 420 4200 M-F 

You can also google Robert Jackson Madill OK and get lots of background. Seems he left a few unhappy customers in the Ford and Volvo worlds before coming to 240Zs.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...