AZ-240z

Cataloging 240z factory manufacture paint marks

14 hours ago, 26th-Z said:

Oh yea, here's my offer on an early oil pan!  Love the yellow paint mark update!  That's just how my car looked when I took it apart.  Splotches and drips - way cool!  I may still have an example of the red paint.  I'll look.

Thanks for the positive critique Chris.  Am I sensing an interest in my early oil pan?  It has been

media blasted and painted with gloss black catalyzed paint.  Would be great to have a color

code or sample match for the red.

Guys, Guys, Guys, don't over do it!!! I'm in the process of prepping what should be the next 240 Gold medallion car for the 2020 convention. Here's the way I apply the yellow to achieve the correct look. I buy a can of School Bus Yellow spray paint at Lowe's/Home Depot, brand not important. At the same time I buy 3-4 1 inch foam brushes. Spray the paint into the plastic can cap, dip the foam brush into the yellow and apply. Results aren't too neat and the paint is thin, just like Nissan did it. 

Very interesting discussion about the red trans marks. Absolutely not the same from car to car and not always red. My last restoration, 10/71 Red with white, had a multi color piece of art on top of the trans. Difficult to reproduce but I think I did that line worker justice. Unfortunately can't seem to be able to find the picture I can't be sure I took, damn!

Oh Yeah, don't forget the blue assembly marks on the balance pipe freeze plugs. AND the blue dot on the 240 fuse link. Just scratched the surface of this topic and have created enough confusion for now.     Cheers

• Like 4

Given that there wasn't a set way of doing it in the factory, all of it limited/chosen by human hand, there's no 'Right or wrong'.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zspert said:

When I'm done in a couple of months I'll post some pix.

Thanks zspert.  The support you gave me was a major factor in my car’s Gold Medallion success.

There are few with your depth of knowledge and experience with respect to factory originality  when 

talking about the Datsun 240z.  The Z community will always benefit from your successes.

Edited by AZ-240z
    • Like 4

Hi , I love this thread. Here is what I see the ones in my Fairlady  240ZG . Are those yellow markings the same in the ones in other cars ? 

Kats

82C1E4F2-9315-4F57-96D6-1C8ED62F749A.jpeg

7EC73B1A-8BDE-4E7E-98C7-806F9C79B2DF.jpeg

6112FFD2-FAE5-4BB3-8D3F-F00A6481AF9C.jpeg

E1637C35-09E9-496D-A160-4B16609B7854.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi Kats,

There is also an identical paper sticker on the steering rack, location varies from car to car!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, zspert said:

Hi Kats,

There is also an identical paper sticker on the steering rack, location varies from car to car!

Thanks Mike ! I didn’t know that other cars have the paper sticker too !

Here is my ZG ‘s seat bottom , I see a paper sticker too . When I was a kid , I always saw these stickers on the food , and many other stuff in a supermarket.

Dan , sorry about this is not about the paint markings 😓

Kats

A9A455C8-86BE-4679-85DC-D216F82A4433.png

00737B5D-810C-4D5C-9CF9-25548B4AB79A.png

591CE5FD-C27E-474F-AD35-686CB0D7B015.png

On 11/8/2016 at 6:38 PM, motorman7 said:

Hi Dan,

Here are a few inspection marks that are on my 1970 on the bottom of the motor and steering rack.

Rich

DSCF0951.JPG

DSCF0949.JPG

DSCF0948.JPG

DSCF0947.JPG

DSCF0989.JPG

Hi motorman7 , I found my ZG has the same paint marking on the bottom of the block , but it is on the right side end .

Kats

36E348CE-4A8B-4DA0-8541-C20696BE4650.jpeg

• Like 1

On 11/8/2016 at 7:23 PM, AZ-240z said:

Thought I would update my pictures after re-doing a lot of the manufacture inspection marks on my car.  Not quite as neat and sterile as before.  

I still need to research the correct red for the front suspension compression rods that 26th-z mentioned and for the tranny bell housing splotches also shown in 

previous posts.  I still need more evidence that those red inspection marks would be correct for my car.

factory assembly marks 002.JPG

Wow, now that is some attention to detail!  So clean

Monochrome photo of possibly HLS30-00003.  You cab certainly see the yellow dabs of paint on the t/c rod nuts where it attaches to the control arms.

Note the oil pan does not have the patch.

post-9102-14150805142187 2.jpg

Looks like a paint dab on the hose to the manifold from the throttle control opener and an accidental swipe on the curly hose to the servo diaphragm.

Note the early braided choke wire.

image.jpeg

Thanks 240260280 and all, such great responses.  I only wish that I had paid closer attention to these

details when my car was new (who knew?).  Here are a couple of pics/white paint dot on fuel pump

center cap screw, and red paint mark on throttle control set screw along with small green mark on same.

A92301A3-A2CD-439D-B51A-2156B185D074.jpegA655D8C1-6BF6-441F-9FD7-F4D832BC5C75.jpeg

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 7:42 AM, 240260280 said:

Monochrome photo of possibly HLS30-00003.  You cab certainly see the yellow dabs of paint on the t/c rod nuts where it attaches to the control arms.

Note the oil pan does not have the patch.

post-9102-14150805142187 2.jpg

Where did you find this picture !

Kats

Hi, for those people who want to stick with original , about the distinguished paint of the coil springs .

I have to turn the rear coil springs 180 degrees upside down for the correct installation. Or I had to paint the yellow upward .

Kats

IMG_2761.JPG

IMG_2772.JPG

IMG_4366.JPG

Edited by kats

Here is the detail , this figure is for the Fairlady series but also it is applicable for the cars which use same part numbers on the coil springs .

I can’t find this type of figure in the books of export models , do you see it in some where?

Kats

BEB82054-ACB2-48FC-A90B-61764C0BB8F2.jpeg

EF63B30B-5862-4520-9C5B-BE4B102AC6A3.jpeg

Edited by kats
    • Like 2