IGNORED

My winter project: L28 swap into my 240z

blodi

I took it out with the insulator and crossmember on the trans, then took them off once outside the car. I did it that way too when I did the trans swap last year. I guess you can do it either way. Doing it the way you suggest probably would make it easier to mount the insulator on the trans and also get the engine/trans in/out of the car. 

I took it out with the insulator and crossmember on the trans, then took them off once outside the car. I did it that way too when I did the trans swap last year. I guess you can do it either way. Doing it the way you suggest probably would make it easier to mount the insulator on the trans and also get the engine/trans in/out of the car.

I had thought about trying that, crossmember and insulator already on the tranny, but I decided it would be something extra in the way. Maybe I'll try it though? Worked for you!

blodi

Car looks great and a quadcopter and an rc plane in the background even better...  B)

Thanks:) I guess i've never grown up with all my toys out in my "man cave".

If it were me, I would have the crankcase breather working. Not sure if the valve cover will release enough pressure to keep your oil seals in place.
Crankcase should have some kind of ported vacuum to properly vent.

I honestly am not buying or selling either way. I have read both sides of the topic. This thread is what convinced me to keeping it blocked was ok: http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/75143-crank-case-ventilation/

The argument that boosted L28ET's are only breathing though the valve cover once boost comes on seems valid. 

My 600+hp turbo NSX only vents through the valve covers to a catch can that has a breather filter of the same size. (maybe apples/oranges but fwiw).  

But, in all honesty, if I could easily get the old breather tube off of the L24 and get that plug out of the L28, I'd do it. I'm just don't want to screw something up. 

Another question regarding this is do I remove the vac line that used to go to the crank breather and cap it off?

There's a good diagram of air/vapor flow in the Emissions chapter of the FSM's.  Might give some ideas.  Without the lower passageway you basically just end up a with a stagnant zone in the crankcase so the blowby byproducts will condense out into the oil.

But the large diameter crankcase tube connects to a fairly small PCV valve so you're not losing as much flow volume as you might think.

I respect Braap's knowledge, but in my research the delete of the pcv might have negative effects on engine operation while leaving it in has no effect on power . It's an effective emission device that could possibly prevent crankcase pressures from causing problems.