IGNORED

Reproducing HeadLight Covers input needed from the community

Metalman5151

Thanks, Blue. Actually have this don't remember where I found it though. Wish I could read Japanese.:)

I'm almost finished with the truck that has been taking up all my time. Doing the last of the painting on it this week, should be out of my life by weekend after this.  Then I can start back on the covers.  Stay tuned.

• Like 1

Thanks, Blue. Actually have this don't remember where I found it though. Wish I could read Japanese.:)

I'm almost finished with the truck that has been taking up all my time. Doing the last of the painting on it this week, should be out of my life by weekend after this.  Then I can start back on the covers.  Stay tuned.

There is a google app on iPhones and androids that you can just point the camera at the Japanese words and it will translate them to English. All for free. If you have a smart phone get google translate and you'll be reading Japanese in no time!
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Sorry again for the delay in posting. I have had some issues. I thought that I would make these in stainless, but I failed to take into account how easily stainless work hardens. If I had dies and a press this would not be a real problem but since I'm hammer forming them trying to shrink the stainless around the form was an issue. So I'm in the process of doing a run of 25 sets in regular cold rolled steel and then will send them out to a high quality chrome plating company in Richmond VA.  This has morphed into more work than I imagined as I originally only planned to make a few at a time. So far I've made 12 sets and have 13 to go.  Then I have to weld the two halves of each ring together. When I complete them I'll do some finish work on each set to ensure they are nice and straight so that the chrome plating looks nice. After I have them prepped Owner of the plating shop says it'll be a 2-3 week turnaround depending on how busy he is. Hopefully some of you will still want a set when I get them done. I'll post some pics of what I'm doing soon.

• Like 1

On February 18, 2017 at 11:15 PM, Metalman5151 said:

Sorry again for the delay in posting. I have had some issues. I thought that I would make these in stainless, but I failed to take into account how easily stainless work hardens. If I had dies and a press this would not be a real problem but since I'm hammer forming them trying to shrink the stainless around the form was an issue. So I'm in the process of doing a run of 25 sets in regular cold rolled steel and then will send them out to a high quality chrome plating company in Richmond VA.  This has morphed into more work than I imagined as I originally only planned to make a few at a time. So far I've made 12 sets and have 13 to go.  Then I have to weld the two halves of each ring together. When I complete them I'll do some finish work on each set to ensure they are nice and straight so that the chrome plating looks nice. After I have them prepped Owner of the plating shop says it'll be a 2-3 week turnaround depending on how busy he is. Hopefully some of you will still want a set when I get them done. I'll post some pics of what I'm doing soon.

I am in for a set 

1 hour ago, wheee! said:

Might as well start a "buy" list. Add my name too.

Buy list for "Vaporware"?  Might be a little premature.  No one has seen a finished product.

I applaud anyone who can make this project happen.  But, Datsun forums are littered with project promises of quality headlight covers at an affordable price that never materialized.  Maybe, just maybe, we should hold off getting in line to buy until a product actually exists.

Dennis

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, psdenno said:

Maybe, just maybe, we should hold off getting in line to buy until a product actually exists.

Not only that but, considering comments made by the OP more than 16 months ago, it would seem wise to see the level of fit, finish and 'feel' before parting with money for something that is not necessarily going to be an accurate reproduction of the OEM items.

Quote from Metalman5151 from further back in the thread:

I've never intended to make exact reproductions.

Edited by HS30-H
  • Like 1

I don't think the OP is trying to Hustle anyone here. I have supported his initiative from the beginning, much as I have with others like Eurodat who manufactured a complete bumper mount kit without a proven product and shipped them after he test fit it himself rigorously. I would like to give Metalman the same benefit of the doubt. Looking forward to pics of the finished product and hoping it turns out as well as we all expect!

• Like 1