IGNORED

jfa.series1 & Mike W are GOLDEN! Zup Wins Big!

Jim--

I e-mailed the ZCCA Secretary (Fred Buoni) a couple of days ago and he replied that he would send out the judging score sheets in a  month or so.

I imagine you were in such a state of shock at the awards ceremony that you didn't catch the fact that your car scored 298 out of a possible 300!!!! :victorious:

Chris Karl, the President of the ZCCA, was the Master of Ceremonies and made that announcement just before he awarded your Gold Cup.

What a night you had Jim!   :beer:

Your dream kitchen was really cooking that evening.  :D

All the Best to you Sir!

Jim D.

"Zup"

Jim,

Thanks for the feedback.  Indeed, I was already "off planet" when they announced the GC.  The slide they put up shows a different total, suggesting Mike and Shane out-pointed me.  I'll be looking forward to the judging sheets.  Are they sent to each entrant?

Jim A.

post-21215-0-59551100-1437609738_thumb.j

Yes--Fred indicated that each entrant in the show would receive a copy of the tally sheet.

Now I am wondering if it was my hearing that was in error or if the slide was in error---no matter----you were not outpointed in your class.

Best of Show, which you also won, is completely separate and above the point totals shown on the slide.

A perfect score is 300---100 each for Interior, Exterior and Engine Bay. You came very close to a perfect score my friend.

Dan Slagle---AZ-240z--a member here---is also a Gold Cup winner from ZCON 2012 with his 71 240Z. I am sure he knows the judging rules and  processes much better than I.

Jim D.

"Zup"

So here's how the judging works as I understand it.  Most of this came from a fellow CZOT member who has judged and been judged at other ZCCA sponsored events.

1. There are two potential rounds of judging depending on the scores of the first round.

2. During the first round all cars are judged according to the class they are in (ie 240Z, 260Z etc) as well as the category (stock, street modified, etc).  Three judges are used with each focused on a particular area, ie interior, exterior, and engine bay.  There are a total of 100 points possible per area for a total perfect score of 300.

3. Cars that achieve a first round score of 280 or higher are eligible for a second round of judging.  These scores are used to determine potential winners of the Gold and Medallion cups. I have been told that the second round judges that are used are the more experienced ones because at this point the car is vying for what is considered to be the pinnacle of achievement.

4. The first round scores are used for the class awards (ie 240Z, etc) as well as the "Best Of" awards. 

5. Second round scores must achieve a minimum of 290 points to be considered for a Gold or Medallion cup award.

6. In the event of a tie, the award will go to the older car as that is considered to be more difficult to restore and maintain.

At this last ZCON there were apparently no stock class vehicles that either met the first round minimum, or perhaps failed to achieve the second round minimum of 290 to score the Gold Medallion award.  That is why we did not see an award for stock class cars.

Jim's score of 298 in the first round was used for the class award as well as the "Best Of" awards.  His second round score of 290 dropped 8 points from the first round for some reason and perhaps this was a result of the more experienced judges.  In my case, my first round score was 290 (the judges disclosed this to me after they finished the first round) and my second round score went up 2 points for some reason.  However, in the end, both Jim's car and mine scored 290 or higher in the second round and that resulted in Gold cup awards for both of us. 

I also understand that we will receive our judging sheets at some point in the near future so we can actually get an understanding of where and why the judges took points off.  I will also say that this is the first show I have ever been to where the judges actually talked to you after they were finished.  This was extremely helpful in understanding what they look for and how they score.  As an example, I was told after the first round that I lost a point for my interior due to a cobweb being found.  Ironically it was under the front of the passenger seat and it was not there the day before, so I determined that I had a spider somewhere in my car who caused me to lose a point due to the spider web that he made!!  Just amazing the level of detail the judges were looking for. 

Hope that helps.  I'm anxious to get my judging sheet at some point, but in the case of both Jim's car and mine, they are now retired from competing at ZCCA events, so getting this info will not be all that useful with respect to the cars we entered at this past ZCON.  I'm already trying to figure out my next build so I suspect this information will be very useful in the future.

Mike.

• Like 4

Thanks muchly Mike--your post above helps me understand the process better.

I apologize for any misinformation I gave in my post above.

Interesting that you were able to talk to the judges and get direct input.

They complemented me on my presentation, but did not volunteer anything regarding the scores or judging.

I was afraid to ask them any questions.  :unsure:

Jim D.

"Zup"

No retired by requirement.  The only ZCCA events that Jim's car and my car can now compete in is the People's Choice award.  The rules say that if you do receive one of the Cup awards, you have achieved the highest level possible and so they retire your car from competing because there is nothing further to achieve. 

I don't know if this is unique to ZCCA or common among other national car clubs, but that's the rule.

Mike.