IGNORED

1973 Rebuild

From what I understand the 240's had very little or no factory applied undercoating.  My '70 had very heavy tar like undercoating that was probably dealer applied.  I have owned the car since 1978 and just recently removed that undercoating and found that my car was painted body color (918 orange) under the floors, in the transmission tunnel and in the wheel wells front and rear.

HTH

Mike

That is super interesting... And might change my plan.

I had intended to shoot the entire underside of my car with lizard skin or something similar. I will probably also shoot the inside of the car in all of the places covered by carpet, fabric, or plastic with it as well.

It's ceramic chips suspended in some kind of goo that acts as an undercoat as well as sound deadener, but it goes between the paint and the primer. 5 gallons weighs less than a gallon of paint and it has a significant effect. It's 100% not for a factory restoration because of the texture and I'm not sure how much I care about that at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used both of those products. I shot the insulator first, then the sound deadener over that. I like them! They kill the sound in the chassis really well. I shot inside every where I could, even inside the doors. It needs to be applied heavy enough or it will have a rough texture. Underneath I used 3m under coater, like 8 cans or so

My orange 72 (6/72) 24k mile original paint 240 has a light application of undercoat with factory orange paint on top. It is a light topcoat but more intentional than over spray. I can't be sure whether there is primer under the undercoating or not. I have the car mostly disassembled refreshing it so the undercarriage is stripped of all hardware, drivetrain, suspension, fuel/brake lines, etc, etc. My plan is to keep the original paint. I am detail cleaning the dirt from the undercarriage and plan to touch up any areas where the paint/undercoating has chipped away to expose metal (none so far but will use primer, light amounts of undercoating and touchup paint from automotivetouchup.com). So far, I have only cleaned the wheel wells and the suspension / fuel tank areas of the rear. While I haven't cleaned the tunnel, the tunnel is undercoated lightly also but the orange paint seems to fade away and I doubt that cleaning will reveal any orange paint like it has in the other areas of the undercarriage.

FWIW, mine was factory primer then dealer applied undercoat. My plan is POR the whole underside, then tie-coat primer and then body colour finish coat. No undercoat. The inside I will do a POR coat then a coat of the lizard skin style sound proofer. I may also do some style of heat shield in the tunnel area next to the exhaust.

FWIW, mine was factory primer then dealer applied undercoat. My plan is POR the whole underside, then tie-coat primer and then body colour finish coat. No undercoat. The inside I will do a POR coat then a coat of the lizard skin style sound proofer. I may also do some style of heat shield in the tunnel area next to the exhaust.

Pretty sure lizard skin is a heat shield as well. I think it's ceramic. That was the sales pitch anyway. Look into it.
  • Like 1

Lizard Skin use to makes 3 products: insulator, sound control and top coat.  The topcoat is new and was not available when I did my car. I used both. I used the insulator on the fire wall, tunnel, floors and roof and then covered all of that with sound control. I used 2 gallons (1 of each) on the current project

@Matthew Abate regarding your search for solid pivots. I stumbled across the following auction and thought of your thread. Finding a junk head would be a cheaper option but I thought I would share in case you are interested.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-nissan-240z-260z-280z-280zx-head-parts-springs-valve-L24-L26-L28-S30-LOT-/252469436692?hash=item3ac859e114:g:1E0AAOSwnQhXoRct

Went to that vendors store. Looks like he is trying to clean out the shop or going out of business. He is selling large lots of a number of things. It seems like it would be hard to sell things like that. Most people don't need 8 window cranks or a dozen brake light switches. He had some interesting listings if I had money to be hoarding parts although some of the prices seem kind of high...