Good Z Books? - Open Discussions - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Good Z Books?

Featured Replies

I just picked up a '73 restoration project and am looking for some good Z books (this is my first Datsun). Does anyone have any recommendations?

So far I'm looking at these:

How to Restore Your Datsun Z-Car

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1931128022/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_11Ovvb0AAQRTR

How to Rebuild Your Nissan/Datsun OHC Engine: Covers L-Series Engines 4-Cylinder 1968-1978, 6-Cylinder 1970-1984

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1931128030/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_C4Ovvb1GA93K6

Essential Datsun Z 240Z to 280Zx: The Cars and Their Story 1969-83 (Essential Series)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1870979516/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_w5Ovvb17NTV8C

Haynes Datsun 240Z, 260Z, and 280Z Manual, 1970-1978 (Haynes Repair Manuals)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0856962066/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_95Ovvb0RSM84Q

Another excellent source is ZTherapy's DVD on SUs. The manuals are fine for tuning but if you want to really know your carbs this is the SU Gospel.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Many would say the Haynes manual is not worth having.  With the year-specific factory manual available, the generality of the Haynes manual will cause it to gather dust.  1970 - 1978 covers carbs to EFI, and narrow bumper to wide.  Can't fit all of that in to one book without cutting corners.

Personally, I didn't use any book, just the stuff that I didn't know I searched on the internet. Also the FSM helped alot when rebuilding parts.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.