IGNORED

Smog Air Pump

Careless

Looking in Nissan E-Fast catalog, I can see that the Air Pump can be taken apart, much like a power steering pump can be. But how much of it is available for refurbishing? 

As far as restoring the look of this item, There are about 3 or 4 pieces on the unit that are cast into the housings that are supposed to be plated. If I were to plate the pieces that these small items are attached to, and then spray them with "cast iron" look spray or even blast the plating off the areas that are to be raw metal, would that cause any issue for the operation of said unit?

Or does anyone offer NOS or refurbed units with this already done? I can only find a refurbed one right now, but it doesn't seem to have the proper plating.

(01/70 240z)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

• 5 months later...

So I bought a Cardone rebuilt Smog Pump. It is indeed a Datsun unit, rebuilt. Same markings and everything... 

However, the inside of the unit was badly rebuilt, and really I only need the wiper drum with the carbon shoes. But even that looks like they just cobbled some garbage together.

grinding marks everywhere, the front washer/bushing was hacked together from two different pieces, and the steel washer under the pulley was some scrap from victorian plumbing or something. The wipers are even worn on a weird angle too.

So... upon inspected the original unit, I can use some parts from that, and hopefully it will work- but I found this 1/8 to 3/16 sized hole drilled on the front side, and I don't have a photo- but I did mark exactly where it is on this photo:

rXEP4da.png?1

Was this a hole used to bypass the system and make it not pump air at all? Or is this common in the earlier units? By eye and casting number, the units are identical...

I am thinking of threading and plugging it, as the unit is in far better condition than the shitty Cardone one.

Sound like a good idea?

Edited by Careless

I hate buying rebuilt parts. For all the reasons you listed above. Alternators, calipers, starters... Hate it.

I've got a smog pump in a box in the shop and I'll check for the existence of that hole if I get a chance today. I could also be talked into parting with the stuff I have if you're interested. Don't know about the internal condition, but I could open it up if you're interested.

Thanks Captain Obvious (feel so weird sayin that! LOL)

Fortunately I have enough that can be salvaged with what I have here, but I would like to know if yours does have that hole.

I'm not sure if it was something for the earlier cars that maybe weren't tested or something. I dunno!

Could it be a weep hole like a water pump has?  I've never even seen one before but just was wondering if they could form some level of condensation inside.

That's what I was thinking too. I have some smog pumps but they're at my other garage. Hmmm...I bought an engine 3 months ago that might have a smog pump on it and it's here. I'll look after work to see if it has the hole. I think the engine is a 1972.

Chuck

• Like 1

Thanks for all the great detective work, guys!

I remember when taking apart the original unit with the hole that my friend who was operating the press said "why do you need to rebuild this thing? just put a 1/8ths hole in it like all the muscle car guys do...". He didn't drill it though, LOL. I don't think he noticed the hole either.

Essentially, these things build like 8 to 10psi of pressure depending on engine RPM. They are used for small engine superchargers, like go-karts and lawnmowers. They work extremely well for that purpose too, except they do throw carbon dust into the intake due to the wearing of the wipers. A small trade off.

I would presume that the hole was drilled by the previous owner of the vehicle to disable its function. A lot of them do seize up too, so maybe it was drilled to spray some lubricant inside the unit to allow it to spin freely. The unit will not work with a hole there, even though it does contain a gasket and bushing at the top that covers the hole. There would still be some leakage there under any sort of above atmospheric pressure.

Either way, I will be heading to the hydraulic store to see if they have a 10-24 threaded plug I can use. Preferrably one that can tolerate the heat and does not need to be sealed with JB-weld. So that in the event that it does squeek quite a bit, maybe a light shot of silicon spray inside there will get'r moving again.

I will post photos of the inside and the finished unit when I get them ready to go.

Edited by Careless
  • Like 1