IGNORED

Black Dragon Hood Bumper Review

Kurbycar32

I ordered a set of hood bumpers for my early 260z from Black Dragon and a bunch of under hood rubber bits to go with them.  I was disappointed to find the hood bumper bolt was a standard phillips machine screw, and i was more disappointed to find that it was an SAE thread which did not match the car.  On the plus side the rubber bumper looked to be the right size so I was able to put that on my old hood bumper.  All said and done i got enough parts to get what I needed done but it sure missed my expectations.  Attached are a side by side pic of the old and new, a pic of both with the rubber removed, my hybrid assembly and finally the finished installed product.

post-22465-0-70647600-1426825969_thumb.j

post-22465-0-76263000-1426825970_thumb.j

post-22465-0-74768900-1426825971_thumb.j

post-22465-0-14847900-1426825973_thumb.j

I just ran into the same thing with the BD hood bumper screws. I did the same thing you did by just transferring the rubber bumper to the old studs. However, that's the first problem I've had with their parts......for the most part, they are an excellent supplier.

They were around $6 each, and came out of a sealed package.  Additionally i ordered the replacement nut and it matched the hoaky hood bumper SAE threads and not the stock parts so they know whats up.

I ordered about 15 other rubber bits for under my hood area and they all looked like great parts as well as all of the other parts i have received from BD in the past.

• 9 months later...

This is an ongoing battle with so many parts.  Quality control and inspection costs money and businesses today in general are looking at profit only.  Unfortunately the end users-that is most of old car enthusiasts-have to deal with the frustration.  Tough and expensive to discard the untold thousands of bolts that were machined wrong, packaged up, and shipped from overseas to our vendors here.  Small dollar items such as these hood bumper kits just fly under the radar on the profit screen, but that still does not help the frustration on our end.  The radar screen needs to be changed from PROFIT to QUALITY.  Not sure if we will ever see that day again in this world economy.  Despite the frustrations , us old car enthusiasts will find a way to make things work.  The above posts are a great testimony for the passion of car enthusiasts.  Thanks for the time on this great website, John-Lugoff, SC

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
On 3/19/2015 at 11:33 PM, Kurbycar32 said:

I ordered a set of hood bumpers for my early 260z from Black Dragon and a bunch of under hood rubber bits to go with them.  I was disappointed to find the hood bumper bolt was a standard phillips machine screw, and i was more disappointed to find that it was an SAE thread which did not match the car.  On the plus side the rubber bumper looked to be the right size so I was able to put that on my old hood bumper.  All said and done i got enough parts to get what I needed done but it sure missed my expectations.  Attached are a side by side pic of the old and new, a pic of both with the rubber removed, my hybrid assembly and finally the finished installed product.

20150319_172912.jpg

20150319_172943.jpg

20150319_173042.jpg

20150319_173242.jpg

Kurby,

I just bought a lot of parts from Black Dragon since they have going out of business prices.  I've never bought parts from them before and I'm still leery how the quality compares to OEM parts.  I bought a lot of rubber pieces, including the hood bumpers, but the bumpers are now $2.25 each.  The nuts for the hood bumpers are NLA though.  With the extremely low prices, I figured it's worth a gamble!

Robert S.

The stock hood bumpers are SAE 1/4-28 thread. Yup it's true.  This is just 1/4 NF thread, easy to find nuts to match. Seems Nissan had the same hard time finding these in Metric back then and relented to an SAE piece from who know where. 

MSA's replacement uses a M6x1.0 bolt with a flat head at least, closer. You can tap the welded nut  to M6x1 and thread it in (its a tad loose), using a matching nut underneath to lock it in place.