IGNORED

L24 Rebuild -Again!

madkaw

Well it's like watching one of those car shows where all kinds of things happen at the last minute. So I lost a day and half because Isky put the wrong numbers down on their cam. Things roll pretty good installing the motor, but not sure I will install a motor again with all the carbs on. It throws the balance off longitudinally , so it makes it tough lining things up. The trans was a bit tough lining up, but the old man squeezed her on.

So pour coolant in the radiator and watch it drip out of my thermostat housing. turns out the housing is cracked :(

Not a big deal EXCEPT, Mikuni shorty intake means it all has to come off to get the bolts on the housing -SH!T. So that added an extra 3 hours of work. Went thru diagnostics last night and the fuel pump didn't work. Tested wires and ended up at my inertia switch-just needed to be reset!

Fired off the coils and they tested okay. So I'm ready to start it this morning and the battery is dead. Some dumb arse left the ignition on all night.  

Drilled only. Both don't work good.

Luckily mine is drilled also but I am going to put on the spray bar for a minute or 60 to make sure the cam doesn't get scorched on start-up.  I've got a rod to spin the oil pump with my drill, that may change my mind if it doesn't look right.

Sorry to hear about your setbacks.  Frustration is part of being successful, I've read somewhere.  

never fails - murphy lives on...

it's always comforting to hear the tribulations of others as it reassures me that i am not alone in a universe of missed expectations. 

within 2 days of driving your newly running z, you'll barely remember all that went wrong because you'll be smiling about all that went right!

looks great, can't wait to hear it roar to life 

Well she turned over but didn't start at first. Turned my laptop on and plugged in and saw that I wasn't showing rpm. So I took out my crank sensor and checked it, no damage. So I adjusted it closer and BOOM BABY, she fired off just like I remember. Let her idle for a while and so far no leaks. The motor sounded good and valve train was quiet. I definitely need to adjust my timing graphs, but that shouldn't be a big deal.

Hope to get her on the road for a test drive as soon as I figure something out with exhaust.

• Like 2

I just was just backing off some of the timing for the fresh unknown motor. Little more compression and different cam, so I wanted to be safe. Haven't verified my timing with a light yet either. Mine stopped working I guess.

The drive today felt pretty good. Just felt good to drive the Z again after a whole year off the road.

Mikunis are not liking the fast hard tip in, don't think my account pumps are bled out yet. Good Ole torque, what a nice change after driving my ball less Chevy Sonic turbo.

Still have a list and a couple of miles to feel confident.

post-6833-0-36590700-1436665736_thumb.jp

• Like 1