IGNORED

1976 280Z Restoration Project

wheee!

I have an airline distribution block for my air compressor that is billet aluminum and would probably be the exact same as the vacuum blocks I see online.
I will mount one and see how it does. I can always remove it if it doesn't perform well.
Unfortunately it will probably be a year or more before I can find out...

I like your intake and fuel rail. Can't alter the stock stuff in California. I would fail the visual inspection. I'm getting lucky with my header. Probably because I have an egr and egr tube that connects to the header which I bought from MSA.

I'm tempted to try it though. If I don't alter the "finish" then maybe it'll look stock to some of these smog shops.

6 minutes ago, wheee! said:

Isn't there a way to modify the car as long as the emissions are clean? No visual mods? I'm never coming to California!

You'd think so -- based on how, ya know, reasonable that sounds -- but no.

The two main components to the smog check are the sniffer and the visual inspection. In California, you must pass both.

With the visual, in order to be smog legal, any emissions-related modifications (which is basically everything that connects to the engine) needs to get a CARB sticker.  That's an expensive, long-term proposition, so generally only the major aftermarket manufacturers will bother with it and only for parts where there's a good market.  For everything else, parts are sold as 49-state legal or for "off road use only."  Needless to say, there is not a single part for the 280z that has a CARB exemption.

For people with non-legal modifications, the usual way to pass is to either find a shop where they don't tend to care about the visual inspection and/or will pass you for a couple hundred bucks.  For us Z owners, there's also the possibility that the tech won't even realize a modification is made.