IGNORED

1976 280Z Restoration Project

wheee!

Im glad its your project. I think I would have freaked out about half way through all that blasting. Dedication for sure.

That fuel pump cleaned up very well. Hard to believe thats the same pump. Its a Hitachi, looks like someone changed the bosch unit.

• Like 1

Im glad its your project. I think I would have freaked out about half way through all that blasting. Dedication for sure.

That fuel pump cleaned up very well. Hard to believe thats the same pump. Its a Hitachi, looks like someone changed the bosch unit.

Well I'm no quitter for sure... LOL

I was curious about the pump too. The other one I just received with the gas tank looks slightly different so I will assume it is the Bosch.

0b4c7c8631f96d8f3b66a3611bb3df41.jpg

Now some of the media blasting process:

Then the Tranny blasting!:

P1010102.thumb.JPG.a64e81e683455ae428f3054f16acdbca.JPG

What media are you using?

I am using 50# copper slag... It seems to be working best for the larger work. I have two other types of crushed glass in 50# and 100# I believe that I use on the cabinet for fine work. Like the headlight backings.

4b51a740b3ed1e51fe312417d4d12465.jpg

If you google those numbers you won't find much these days. A couple of ebay vendors still have some under the 280ZX nisan pn.17011-P7211. 

Funny thing is the photo's show a bosch pump in a nissan box. From what info I can find JECS stopped making them becauee demand was two low, but bosch made them for a couple of years longer because the L-Jetronic used them on all kinds of european cars in the seventies. Bosch now quotes the 0 580 254 044 as a replacement.

Screenshot_2016-02-22-17-26-46-1.png

• Like 1

Great info EuroDat.  Not trying to hijack Wheee's excellent restoration thread.  But this seems like an appropriate place to ask:

As my fuel pump is suspect until I can test it next week, I've been looking at pumps too.  I noticed a bunch of "replacement" ones.  I assume they are "replacement" in the sense that they are fuel pumps that provide enough pressure and flow, but not mechanically identical to OEM?  For example, I see on RockAuto they have the Beck/Arnley OEM pump for $396, and several "replacement" ones, such as a Delphi for $81, and others.  If one doesn't care about originality, or needs one for temporary use, wouldn't this be another option?  I'd assume a mounting bracket or adapter would be necessary.

280z pumps 1.JPG

On 2/22/2016 at 6:42 AM, wheee! said:

I am using 50# copper slag... It seems to be working best for the larger work. I have two other types of crushed glass in 50# and 100# I believe that I use on the cabinet for fine work. Like the headlight backings.

Better clean all of the cracks and crevices in to the transmission internals.  The rear seal is essentially open to the inside, and the vent, and the shifter mechanism.  Not to be a Danny Downer.  Saw your picture of the transmission and felt queasy.