IGNORED

1976 280Z Restoration Project

wheee!

Harbor Freight has a cross-bar dent puller. It uses glue to attach to the panel. One user reports successfully pulling dents out of a motorcycle tank. Success seems to depend on prep. 70 reviews, three stars. For $11.99 it's worth a try.

This got me wondering if one couldn't do something similar with a large flat-head screw or nail. Glue it on and use a slide hammer. I don't know what adhesive i would use but there are many to choose from.

Should you choose to weld studs on the tank, drop some dry ice into it first. When co2 vapor comes out of it, you're good to go.

On another note, I tried "drifting" the spindle out with Thor this afternoon. No go. Thought I'd simplify a bit and took the sawzall to the joints an separated the control arm from the spindle. After that, the ends of the spindle pin literally dropped out of the control arm!... Sadly, the spindle centre section is totally seized. I gave it a few whacks and realized this will take heat and pressure...

Back at it tonight with a torch and heat gun followed by Thor. If that fails, off to work it all goes to the 50 tonne press!

I haven't looked at the dent pictures but, along the same lines as the paintless dent method, you might build a jig or straps to retain the form of the good parts of the tank, and use air pressure to blow out the dented portion. 

When I was a kid, we could perfectly straighten out a dented up beer can by exploding a firecracker inside it. Maybe a cherry bomb might do the trick on the gas tank? Remember to drain it first! 

Golly. I never realized how simple it could be to remove dents from a tank. Step 1-remove tank, just in case something goes wrong, Step 2- do not clean, put a fuse in it (just to be safe), Step 3- ignite said fuse, VOILA, a straight tank or shrapnel, Step 4- paint the tank, if there is anything left of you or the tank, Step 5 reinstall the tank. WARNING steps 4 & 5 depend greatly on your & the tanks survival.

Seems simple. What could possibly go wrong, go wrong, go wrong, go wrong, go wrong

• Like 1

Harbor Freight has a cross-bar dent puller. It uses glue to attach to the panel. One user reports successfully pulling dents out of a motorcycle tank. Success seems to depend on prep. 70 reviews, three stars. For $11.99 it's worth a try.

This got me wondering if one couldn't do something similar with a large flat-head screw or nail. Glue it on and use a slide hammer. I don't know what adhesive i would use but there are many to choose from.

Should you choose to weld studs on the tank, drop some dry ice into it first. When co2 vapor comes out of it, you're good to go.

Brilliant!  When I welded on my tank, I purged it with shielding gas from my MIG.

• Like 1