IGNORED

1976 280Z Restoration Project

wheee!

Took a break from the interior and spent some quality time stripping the undercoating of the inner fender area last night. The coating was 1/4" thick on places and covered a fair amount of surface rust, which is why the PO did it I suppose. The corrosion looks like it is minor and I used a wire cup to strip it clean after the undercoating came off. I was careful not to strip metal. I know this area will be hidden, but I want it all down to bare metal and properly sealed.

I need to stop procrastinating and start removing all the hard lines! I've been letting them soak in PB Blaster for the last week to loosen up some of the seized bolts...

cd0cbdfa37b2ba6e41c664f524459d5a.jpg

Wow, that is fuel? I have a feeling that tank is not going to look all that good inside and the fuel lines/pump for that matter.

I changed all the parts in my rear brakes, except the drums. Small parts kit from rock auto, shoes and slave cylinders, but your po even took the drums???

Wow, that is fuel? I have a feeling that tank is not going to look all that good inside and the fuel lines/pump for that matter.

I changed all the parts in my rear brakes, except the drums. Small parts kit from rock auto, shoes and slave cylinders, but your po even took the drums???

No. the drums were there but they are damaged and worn beyond repair.

No. the drums were there but they are damaged and worn beyond repair.

Couple things....

I'm also restoring a 1976 280z.  

I'm converting to disc.  I saved all my drum hardware.  If you want, maybe we can work something out.  PM me if interested and I will go through and verify I have everything in and it is in good shape.  If memory serves it was.

Second, gas tanks for the 280z are hard to find and expensive.  So most likely, you're going to have to invest whatever labor is needed to save yours.  Mine had holes rusted in it under the straps which I had to weld up.  That was never racking...

Couple things....

I'm also restoring a 1976 280z.  

I'm converting to disc.  I saved all my drum hardware.  If you want, maybe we can work something out.  PM me if interested and I will go through and verify I have everything in and it is in good shape.  If memory serves it was.

Second, gas tanks for the 280z are hard to find and expensive.  So most likely, you're going to have to invest whatever labor is needed to save yours.  Mine had holes rusted in it under the straps which I had to weld up.  That was never racking...

Thanks, but I am pretty sure I'm going to use this as an excuse to get the discs!

As for the gas tank, it is coated in undercoating and seems to be solid so far. No leaks. However, it does have a couple of large dents that I would like to remove prior to restoring it. I was planning on doing the POR route anyways...

I had to whack the fuel pump a few times back in the spring before it would pump, but the car fired right up and ran perfect on that crappy fuel... wow! Blows my mind....

I had to whack the fuel pump a few times back in the spring before it would pump, but the car fired right up and ran perfect on that crappy fuel... wow! Blows my mind....

Are you sure that was fuel, It looked closer to Espresso.  Maybe that is why the car fired up?

Edited by gwri8
  • Like 1