IGNORED

A Project Is Brewing...

rossiz

Oops, I guess yours is the opposite problem.  The slave cylinder I purchased comes with an adjustable rod.  It's exactly the same as the one you have, but longer, and threaded.  A nut screws onto it and adjusts the length.  I assume to adjust as the clutch wears?

put a sst acorn nut on the end of the clutch actuating rod and it fit fine.

go her all together, did a double & triple check, filled w/fluids and gave the key a twist - she sprang to life immediately and after a few minutes at 2500 rpm to make the cam happy i took her out for a lil' spin. 

the good:

the engine runs absolutely amazingly - the balancing and lightened flywheel let her spin up super fast and she's so smooth it's like night and day from the previous motor. idle feels like a new car - you can think it stalled it's so quiet/smooth. revs up to 7K in a blink and sooooo smooth - no vibes at all. the old lump used to rattle the shift lever and make the rearview mirror blurry after 5500, this one is like silk all the way up and pulls great.

the bad:

transmission woes... i started another thread for advice on this one. 1st whines, almost impossible to get it into 2nd - misses into false neutral, pisses me off - the only part i didn't mess with is the tranny (just replaced front & rear seals) and it's all catywompus... will bleed clutch and if no suitable advice comes i'll have to swap in my old 4sp which works great.

spent the day pulling out the broken 5sp and swapping in my old 4sp. while i was at it i replaced the clutch master, slave & hose connection. a miserable, wretched job to do - i'm pretty sure i invented some new cuss words in the process. probably a lot easier with a lift, a proper tranny jack and a fluid pump, but i did it on stands on my back using a floor jack and some wood blocks to lever and set the tranny. will see about getting the 5sp rebuilt and have a shop do the next swap - i've got my tranny-swap merit badge and will never do that job again. ever.

got to do a few nice runs up & down the street to start breaking in the new motor - it runs fantastic and i'm very pleased with how quiet & smooth it is.

next will be installing the 02 sensors and tuning the carbs. after the first few miles i pulled the plugs and they look quite light - not sure if it's lean or if it's the ethanol in the gas. at least they're not covered in crud like the old oil-burning one did.

hope to never see this again:

post-28907-0-50226300-1436064061_thumb.j

post-28907-0-46368000-1436064046_thumb.jpost-28907-0-59995300-1436064049_thumb.jpost-28907-0-32091300-1436064052_thumb.j

I like your break in procedure.  Break it in like you drive it, I learned that with V6 Mercury outboards, run them hard for 1,320 feet and idle back to the trailer.

I wish I had've been easier on my body though, my suspension's shot to hell. Oh well, that's why I have a doctor.  :P