IGNORED

My Datsun 280Z "Rustoration"

HaZmatt

I got my kick panels in and installed my speakers. I was able to flush mount them from behind saving me a little bit of room. I may install the grill later if it becomes an issue. Right now theres plenty of clearance so I am pretty happy. The stereo sounds great! I could probably use a little more bass, I might buy a powered sub down the road. We'll see. 

20170806_141119.jpg

Drivers side

20170807_190554.jpg

Passenger

20170807_190628.jpg

The rears mounted in the stock locations. 

20170807_190033.jpg

20170807_190038.jpg

20170807_194411.jpg

Hello Hazmatt,  If some "pro"  would have put my newly restored Z in that way on a lift i would be furious.... This is the wrong way.. don't you think to?

Last month a mechanic almost did this with my 300zx Twinturbo, i was just in time to "Kick his ****"  never do that with one of my cars you'll dent the 1millimeter thin sheetmetal!!!   A 300zx is so much heavy-er ..  it will damage the construction for sure.  I've seen many 280zx's.. with big nasty dents in them.. :angry:

20170722_104115_001.jpg.ea475d3d3ed300786e757328d242743b.jpg

On 8/9/2017 at 1:42 AM, dutchzcarguy said:

Hello Hazmatt,  If some "pro"  would have put my newly restored Z in that way on a lift i would be furious.... This is the wrong way.. don't you think to?

Last month a mechanic almost did this with my 300zx Twinturbo, i was just in time to "Kick his ****"  never do that with one of my cars you'll dent the 1millimeter thin sheetmetal!!!   A 300zx is so much heavy-er ..  it will damage the construction for sure.  I've seen many 280zx's.. with big nasty dents in them.. :angry:

Not sure where else you would lift it by. Its on the frame rails. I am pretty sure thats the strongest part of the undercarriage, but I've been known to be wrong from time to time. :unsure:

On 7/31/2017 at 11:41 PM, HaZmatt said:

Thats good to hear! I'm glad you're happy with them. I might end up running an amp later on if I want a little more uumph. Your head unit install turned out great!

Hi HaZ, very interested to see how you like the Polk speakers.  I also have the Retrosound head, Additionaly I have the Retrosound 6x9's, a Small JVC powered sub behind the passenger seat the small Retrosound Amp and Pyle front speakers in the same "kick panels" you have.  The base and sound from the rear of the car is great, the front however seems really weak and I'm wondering how you like the Polk's you have?    As you know, space is extremely limited with those panels. 

Also, I followed your build and have plagurized a number of your ideas! Thanks for doing such a great write up on your car.  I have referred to it many many times.  Jay

• Like 1

On ‎11‎-‎8‎-‎2017 at 3:27 AM, HaZmatt said:

Not sure where else you would lift it by. Its on the frame rails. I am pretty sure thats the strongest part of the undercarriage, but I've been known to be wrong from time to time. :unsure:

A s30 in good condition can be lifted on all 4 corners where you normally put your Jack..  Cars where the middle reinforcement are rusted away, will fail.. but you did a good job so it should be lifted there..  I know mine will not fail, i reconstructed those jack up spots thoroughly.  Again... those beams under your 1 mm. floor are also just 1 mm and dent easy..  On the later 280z i've never seen them close up but they appear to be sturdier.

Anyone who would like to buy a z car i advice to but a jack under the 4 corners, (one at the time) if the owner don't want to cooperate.. step away!!  Bad restorations will fail!

With MOT or as it is called over here APK, i prefer them to lift it at the front axle (middle of it) or rear axle (under the differential gear carrier..  (as it is mentioned in the service manual.  :beer:

Edited by dutchzcarguy

On 8/11/2017 at 7:14 AM, Jaymanbikes said:

Hi HaZ, very interested to see how you like the Polk speakers.  I also have the Retrosound head, Additionaly I have the Retrosound 6x9's, a Small JVC powered sub behind the passenger seat the small Retrosound Amp and Pyle front speakers in the same "kick panels" you have.  The base and sound from the rear of the car is great, the front however seems really weak and I'm wondering how you like the Polk's you have?    As you know, space is extremely limited with those panels. 

Also, I followed your build and have plagurized a number of your ideas! Thanks for doing such a great write up on your car.  I have referred to it many many times.  Jay

Thank you, I appreciate that! I had a chance to drive around and listen to some tunes today and I am pretty happy with the setup. I'm running the Polk speakers off of the deck power so they're not super loud, but they sound pretty decent. I would imagine if they were amped that they would sound much better.

So one thing that has been bugging me lately is the condition of my fuel tank straps. They really didn't come out that great when I had them plated and are showing corrosion. I bought a pair of Skillard's stainless steel straps for $99 and they turned out great. Here's what the old straps looked like. 

20170813_104321.jpg

20170813_104347.jpg

As you can see, not great. Here are the Skillard straps. I glued some rubber foam to the inside. Very well made.

20170813_111931.jpg20170813_111958.jpg

And installed after a little touch up spray on the tank with trim black.

DSC_1495.JPG

DSC_1497.JPG

20170813_115946.jpg

Ahh much better! :D

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rcb280z said:

Yeah I saw those on his site. They look awesome man! 

Damn, it looks like you are barely 4" off the ground at the exhaust!

Actually its about 2.75" at the lowest point :smoke: This is after I raised the car up an inch. She hates speed bumps!