IGNORED

Replacing Twice Pipes exhaust! How to go back to stock without buying unnecesary part

jalexquijano

post-29967-14150828368357_thumb.jpg

My 1972 240z was previously modified with this twice pipe exhaust system which is loud as hell:

I want to go back to stock so i can use my car as a daily driver and not a racing machine. Just as a normal sedan. Is this what i need to purchase and have installed:

Motorsport! MSA Premium Exhaust System, 70-8/74 240Z-260Z (for 6-1 Headers) - The Z Store! Nissan-Datsun 240Z-260Z-280Z-280ZX-300ZX(Z31/Z32)-350Z-370Z Parts

or i will only have to buy the exhaust muffler???

Motorsport! Performance Stainless Steel Muffler - The Z Store! Nissan-Datsun 240Z-260Z-280Z-280ZX-300ZX(Z31/Z32)-350Z-370Z Parts

Can someone please guide me on what i really need?

I don't see any mufflers in the picture. Many people run their cars with no mufflers, you might not have any. The MSA twice-pipe came with mufflers. It might be that installing two simple glass pack mufflers will make it quiet enough.

post-29967-14150828374545_thumb.jpg

I don't see any mufflers in the picture. Many people run their cars with no mufflers, you might not have any. The MSA twice-pipe came with mufflers. It might be that installing two simple glass pack mufflers will make it quiet enough.

Based on the fact that the car has this type of exhaust i would like to know what kind or Brand of muffler i will need to quiet down the car as a normal sedan.

Would i only have to buy the muffler and the chrome tip? I want a good quality muffler and tip!

Will this option work? Motorsport! Performance Stainless Steel Muffler - The Z Store! Nissan-Datsun 240Z-260Z-280Z-280ZX-300ZX(Z31/Z32)-350Z-370Z Parts

Please advise!

post-29967-14150828373903_thumb.jpg

You are at a crossroads. You could try additional glasspacks midway in the system, but not sure if it will quiet it down much. You won't beable to find a chambered muffler that will easily mate up with the system you have now. Your best option might be to sell off that system completely and start over with a single pipe system with a premuffler and muffler for quieter results.

You are at a crossroads. You could try additional glasspacks midway in the system, but not sure if it will quiet it down much. You won't beable to find a chambered muffler that will easily mate up with the system you have now. Your best option might be to sell off that system completely and start over with a single pipe system with a premuffler and muffler for quieter results.

Thanks, Which i think i will decide to start over with a single pipe system. Which seller do you recommend?

Motorsport! MSA Premium Exhaust System, 70-8/74 240Z-260Z (for 6-1 Headers) - The Z Store! Nissan-Datsun 240Z-260Z-280Z-280ZX-300ZX(Z31/Z32)-350Z-370Z Parts

This one is quite expensive and i have Heard the muffler is not high quality.

I'd just go to a local independent muffler shop, have them install a pipe and muffler. Just explain you want it quiet, and as much ground clearance as possible.

Stock pipe reduces performance. Installing 2 1/4" pipe and turbo muffler (with an adapter welded to the stock Y pipe) took about 1.2 seconds off my 0 to 60 mph time with no other modifications. And it's not so loud I'd get a ticket.