IGNORED

New owner of a very early 240Z

metalmonkey47

Update:

Other then that, I've been happy with it! It has NO dash lights, so I'm a little disappointed by that. I hate electrical gremlins.

Not sure if you checked, but the dimmer for the lights is on the right side of the steering column. Mine was hidden by the aftermarket A/C control so I thought the same thing. I just bought it, so rookie mistake and put a smile on my face when I rotated it and tada, dash lights worked. The knob on the other side is the mileage reset knob. Pretty cool. I'll try and get mine posted soon as well. '71 as well.

• 2 weeks later...

The cowl drains are to the out board ends of the cowl area. They acutally drain through rubber hoses (about 1.25" dia.) that pass from the bottom of the lower cowl pan, through the passenger compartment and out through the a-post structure ahead and above the upper door hinges and inside the rear of the fender. They are also the culprit for causing lower rear fender rust as any debris that passes through them collects inside the fender rearward of the wheel opening. Datsn, made a big error in that design. They should have routed the drains all the way down to prevent moisture collection inside the fenders. The moral to the story is to check the drains periodically for function. Water stayed into cowl vents at the base of the windshield should quickly make it's way to the ground behind the front wheels. If not, you have an issue that requires immediate attention. You should also, flush the area behind the front wheels each time you wash the car to remove any debris that will collect there.

Edited by brownclee

• 2 weeks later...
Not sure if you checked, but the dimmer for the lights is on the right side of the steering column. Mine was hidden by the aftermarket A/C control so I thought the same thing. I just bought it, so rookie mistake and put a smile on my face when I rotated it and tada, dash lights worked. The knob on the other side is the mileage reset knob. Pretty cool. I'll try and get mine posted soon as well. '71 as well.

I literally had NO idea what either one of the knobs did under the dash until Ir read that, WOW! Alas, it didn't fix the issue, but damn did it make me feel a little less stupid.

Matt, bring it by my house. If the wiring was messed up too bad by IPOs, I can help you with the gremlins quickly.

I will surely take you up on that offer once I get this thing running better.

I thought i'd share a little update. I'll be back with many more pictures, but man I love cheap radiators. $131 on Egay, not the best quality but by far better then the busted one I had.

post-30371-14150829164362_thumb.jpg

post-30371-14150829164866_thumb.jpg

post-30371-14150829165367_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
You are going to be at C&O in two weeks, right?

Yessir! Unless something at work comes up I'll be there!

great progress !

I would use a bottle of mequairs ultimate compound and some towels, spent an afternoon polishing it up, and that paint will look way better :) , worked great on mine.

Actually, I've used the Meguires Ultimate Compound and Polish, then Waxed with the same stuff. Turned out great! Only issue is that It tends to fade quickly and water-spot easily. I don't know if it's Georgia's acidic rain, or an issue with the pain but unless you polish often it tends to look like crap after a wash.

metalmonkey47 - - you are seeing / experiencing the effects that happen, when the top layer of an older formula enamel has been polished off. While you still have a color coat below that top layer of paint - you no longer have the density of paint solids that originally formed in that shinny top skin layer.

Time for a new paint job..

Carl B.