IGNORED

Very Cool Ignition Upgrade

Mike W

Just realized that you had a thread going over at Hybridz. I'm NewZed over there.   Edit - Never mind, I saw the first sentence of your post over there.  Buying the 123 might not have been the best idea, if you just want to use the MSD 6AL.

The 123 ignition system has its own ignition module and doesn't need the MSD 6AL.  The MSD 6AL just needs a good trigger signal to work, but the 123 tach signal might not be right for it (if that's what 123 black is in your diagram).

Why are you trying to combine the 123 with the MSD?

Edited by Zed Head

Here you go.  The 123 black wire will just open and close a circuit to ground.  But will not have any inherent current flow or voltage.  The MSD won't see anything there.  I think that MSD's white wire just counts voltage pulses.  It would only see a change if it had voltage itself.

And the link- http://www.123ignition.nl/files/manuals/123manual_TUNEPLUS.pdf

image.png

Edited by Zed Head

Here's the check to see if the MSD will work as wired.  It replicates what the 123 should be doing.  Providing a ground path for the white wire.  If you do this test and get a spark then you can focus on the 123 as the problem.  Break it down in to smaller problems.

image.png

2 hours ago, JohnnyWas said:

Hey all. Having issues getting spark. I have everything wired as such [see attachment], but I just wont get spark when the engine is cranking. Can anyone with a similar set-up confirm that I have everything dialed in correctly?? Wiring from scratch here; this should be working, no??

I was looking at the photos at the other site you posted on and it looked to me the plug wires were not even in the correct order.

Check the simple things first.

28 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Here you go.  The 123 black wire will just open and close a circuit to ground.  But will not have any inherent current flow or voltage.  The MSD won't see anything there.  I think that MSD's white wire just counts voltage pulses.  It would only see a change if it had voltage itself.

And the link- http://www.123ignition.nl/files/manuals/123manual_TUNEPLUS.pdf

21 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

I could be wrong.  MSD says that the white wire is used for points so it might work with the 123 as you have it wired.  Check your grounds.

https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/MSD-6425_frm29772.pdf

That was the idea. The MSD should be sending current to the coil thru the orange to coil (black to neg side). The MSD white wire is the trigger wire, and the black wire from the 123 unit is the signal wire. They should work together. I'm running carbs, so a point-style set-up should be just fine here. (??)

18 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Here's the check to see if the MSD will work as wired.  It replicates what the 123 should be doing.  Providing a ground path for the white wire.  If you do this test and get a spark then you can focus on the 123 as the problem.  Break it down in to smaller problems.

image.png

I've done this test a few times. Works.

9 minutes ago, Lumens said:

I was looking at the photos at the other site you posted on and it looked to me the plug wires were not even in the correct order.

Check the simple things first.

The wires are def in the proper order, at least according to this verified reference image:

8.jpg

2 hours ago, JohnnyWas said:

Hey all. Having issues getting spark. I have everything wired as such [see attachment], but I just wont get spark when the engine is cranking. Can anyone with a similar set-up confirm that I have everything dialed in correctly?? Wiring from scratch here; this should be working, no??

Is there voltage on the red wire to the 123 when cranking?  Start.

Break it down.  Run and Start are two different things.  Your MSD white wire test is a "Run" test, or "IG" in your case.  You need to check Start.  

1 minute ago, Zed Head said:

Is there voltage on the red wire to the 123 when cranking?  Start.

Break it down.  Run and Start are two different things.  Your MSD white wire test is a "Run" test, or "IG" in your case.  You need to check Start.  

The IGN toggle on the rocker panel is a constant 12v switch (which the MSD & 123 power run to).

The only momentary button / switch on the panel is the push button start.

I will run a test when cranking, however. Maybe I'm losing voltage at crank??

1 minute ago, JohnnyWas said:

Maybe I'm losing voltage at crank??

Exactly.  If you're not losing voltage at Start then you need to look at why the 123 wouldn't be making and breaking the coil circuit.  The 123 needs power too, and a good ground.  Your white wire test showed the that MSD works.  The 123 just supplies the ground circuit.

You never explained the other Start circle.

11 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Exactly.  If you're not losing voltage at Start then you need to look at why the 123 wouldn't be making and breaking the coil circuit.  The 123 needs power too, and a good ground.  Your white wire test showed the that MSD works.  The 123 just supplies the ground circuit.

You never explained the other Start circle.

The circle in my drawing is for the start button. It's a momentary button on the QuickCar panel I'm using. Wired as such:

startbutton.jpg

I see three "starts" here.  Is the box on the bottom actually the startER?  You don't have a the positive cable connected there, so it's not clear.  Wouldn't be a surprise if your Start button cut power to the other switches.  That's how the factories do it.  Max power to the coil and starter.

image.png

OOps! Yes that is the startER, and the thick battery + cable is connected to the pos. terminal on the starter. The wire labeled "start btn." is the wire that goes from the starter button to the t-post on the solenoid.

Sorry to be sloppy w that labeling...