IGNORED

Steering Rack Disassembly and Refurb

Captain Obvious

I bought the car used so I cannot know for positive sure, but from the looks of the old boots that I took off, I would guess that they were  the ones that came on the car from the factory when new.

I don't remember if that apparent wider convolution spacing was as pronounced as it appears in the photo. It certainly didn't seem to be really needed for any "functional" reason.

I'm going to have to check the boots on 182. I think I noticed a couple of the end bellow sections being separated by a wide valley like in the ones shown above.

I currently have a set of boots on the steering rack that I THINK are the same as the ones you've put on yours- and I also have two sets of the non-useable moog ones with the over-sized inner bore. 

Eventually I'll need to get another set to go on 182, so I'm just gathering info at this point. Would be cool to get a set of NOS ones if they're in existence. 

"Cool" yes, but "robust" maybe not. I'm a little skeptical about NOS rubber things. Most stuff NOS is great, but old rubber, even if new and stock, isn't always the best idea. Would be perfect for a trailer queen though!

I don't think I kept those old boots. I keep many old parts, even if worn out, but I think those boots hit the round file.

I must be more of a hoarder than CO, when I replaced my rack boots in 2005 I kept the old ones. I can't be certain that they were original but I purchased the car in 1978 and this was the first change.  The old boots don't have the "wide separation" but the new OEM parts I purchased do have it, the new part number is 48203-N3000, strangely my parts book says that pn was only used from 05/73 to 07/73.

Here is a picture of the new boot (48203-N3000) installed

48203-N3000 Boot Installed.jpg

And here is a picture of the old boot (was stored in packaging from the replacement boot)

Original Boot.jpg

nice. i'll take photos tonight of what i have at the shop for comparison. thanks dudes!

as for the N3000, i saw them available on a Z supplier website, and was wondering if I should order those. 

i believe the ones on 182 are similar to the ones you put back in the bag, CanTechZ...

I do the same thing lol. good for records, I guess

Edited by Careless

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I started on the rack for the yellow car and was just gonna read back through this thread since I book marked it. I remember it being really good. I just wanted to sort of get a feel for what to expect. I can't remember anything specific I need; it was just well documented and nice and technical...