IGNORED

Steering Rack Disassembly and Refurb

Captain Obvious

Since this topic is about steering racks... A little while ago I was messing with a donor steering rack and I noticed that the rack retaining straps appeared to be asymmetric.

I've never ever seen any chatter about it, but it appears to me that these straps have a "front and a back"? The difference is subtle... I've included a sketch I whipped up to exaggerate and highlight the difference:
P1190864.JPG

The jury is still out on which way the straps should be installed, but here's what I found. I think the more gradual end goes towards the front of the car, but since I've never been in possession of a rack that hasn't been worked on in the past, I can't be sure:
P1190865.JPG

P1190867.JPG

Thoughts from the collective?

(This started on a different thread, but I thought it might be good to collect steering rack specific stuff here as well.)

I have several rack hold down straps. I’ll look carefully at all of them and report what shape variations i see.

The bushings don’t have any unique front/back shape that I’ve noticed, 

or do they?????

Edited by zKars

As far as I know, the bushings don't have a front or a back. Of course, the later years have a left and a right, but I've never seen any mention or heard any chatter about a front and a back. There's no mention in the FSM's that I could find. I was surprised to see what I (think I) saw. Makes me wonder if they really intended there to be an F/R and just didn't put that detail into the manuals.

And it's not like I've ever heard anyone talk about problems there.  "Yeah, I got some weird steering play that I can't figure out. I wonder if I got my retainer brackets on backwards." said nobody ever.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/14/2021 at 5:59 PM, Namerow said:

Was the OE bush split?

Have to take another apart to look. 

BTW, no problem getting more of the longer bushings. Haven’t tried to do anything about actually put it in or any other other than restoration re-assembly, but someday I’ll have a few racks with new bushing available. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/31/2021 at 9:52 PM, zKars said:

Have to take another apart to look. 

BTW, no problem getting more of the longer bushings. Haven’t tried to do anything about actually put it in or any other other than restoration re-assembly, but someday I’ll have a few racks with new bushing available. 

Hi zKars!

I need two of those bushings 🤔 Where can I get them please 🙏

On 10/11/2021 at 3:45 AM, Salonmi said:

Hi zKars!

I need two of those bushings 🤔 Where can I get them please 🙏

I can send you two of the ones I got, or you can order your own from :

megazip.net

48128-78500  is the part number.

Took less than two weeks to get to me.

$30 USD to get them via EMS shipping.

Remember they are the long right side ones, so the left side will need to cut flush once its pressed into the housing. Haven't done any yet, so help tips about how to do it, but I would heat the housing to 300-400 F in the over to expand it and freeze the bushing to make insertion easy(er). They are bronze or similar, so not very hard....

Jim

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, zKars said:

I can send you two of the ones I got, or you can order your own from :

megazip.net

48128-78500  is the part number.

Took less than two weeks to get to me.

$30 USD to get them via EMS shipping.

Remember they are the long right side ones, so the left side will need to cut flush once its pressed into the housing. Haven't done any yet, so help tips about how to do it, but I would heat the housing to 300-400 F in the over to expand it and freeze the bushing to make insertion easy(er). They are bronze or similar, so not very hard....

Jim

Thanks Jim,

I already found that source when I was browsing for that part. Knowing the part number really made a difference 😃 I’ll probably order some directly, but thanks for the generous offer 🙏 If I actually get to install them, I’ll let you know if there is anything worth knowing 👍

• Like 1

On 1/17/2018 at 9:14 PM, Zed Head said:

and a grease reservoir.  Jealous.

image.png

image.png

Hi there! Any idea where that grease reservoir should be located? I took mine totally apart but I found nothing like that...

Edited by Salonmi