IGNORED

[2014] What did you do to/with your Z today?

Arne

Finally got my Z outside this past Sunday for the first time since late October.

I changed the back panel color from a bright gold color to a more original gray color over the winter. I had the gold color on for over 30 years. The new color is a little warmer than the original color and I installed re chromed tail light surrounds that 9teen7t240z did for me. It all came together on Sunday. Here is a picture of before and after.

post-13827-14150828147469_thumb.jpg

I thin I finally got my blown fuse problem fixed:

The marker lights would go out at random times while driving, usually at dusk. I noticed a smoke-smell occasionally when I have the outside lamps on, so I kept an eye open for the cause (probably a corroded connection.) Another symptom I saw was that the fusebox cover (the broken one I use while driving) was deformed in one place, over "Tail lamps," so I replaced it after a good spritzing with eOxit 100, and kept an eye on that too. Then finally while I had the glovebox out to service the firewall connectors I tried the lamps and actually saw the fuse burn! I replaced it again and tried the lamps again- burning tail lamp fuse!

With that and the smoke I saw earlier coming from the area last fall, I supposed the glovebox lamp had a corroded connector, so I unplugged it, replaced the fuse, and turned on the lamps- no burning fuse...

So now I'm testing the lamp to see if it's shorting somehow. The bulb has corrosion around the base, so I will installed a fresh bulb. I will test it with a sacrificial wire and the car's cattery, and if nothing lights up (burns/melts) I will presume the problem is fixed and put everything back together.

Now I just need a new supply of 15A fuses, and to grow some double-jointed arms, so I can unplug the stock ignition box and hook up the GM HEI module.

It's been raining already some, and with the shortage of salt during the last winter, there wasn't much used anyway, so the streets are ready for Z, albeit with an extra shirt or a jacket.

Edited by TomoHawk

• 2 weeks later...

A month after putting Chevette springs on the front, I finally got around to installing them on the rears on the 260Z. I cut 3 coils from the springs for the front and 2.5 for the rear. I installed them with KYB Excel struts. Cornering is so much flatter than with the 40 year old springs. The tire rub on the left rear is gone. Compared to how it was, it feels like a slot car. Meanwhile, it still appears to have a stock stance.

Thank you to John Coffey, Phil, and all of the others here and at Hybridz for experimenting and posting the results. So far this appears to be a great cost-effective upgrade.

I took the 260Z to Road Atlanta today to enjoy the Mitty (The Mitty 2014 ? Day 1 (278 pictures) | Steve's CARtography).

I also changed the front brake hydraulic hoses because the brakes were pulling to the right. I thought the driver side hose may have been stretched when the caliper fell from its perch while I was working on it. The pulling was gone when I did the test drive.

I was driving the Parade lap at The Mitty today when out of nowhere an open wheeled racer passes me on the right and gets in the parade line. I have no idea where he came from or why he was out there with the amateurs. He stayed there until the end, heading for the pits while we went to the infield. Here's a link to a video: Parade Surprise - YouTube

Great day at Road Atlanta. SteveJ - thanks for the photos.

Went to my first car show of the year. Had a great day and nice weather for the Pittsburgh area. All was great until I got back from looking at the over 400 cars on Main street and the parking lots to discover that someone one had taken one of my new plastic fuse cover in the engine bay. So I ordered two new ones just in case. I have never had a problem or heard of any one having any problems at car shows.

post-13827-14150828349931_thumb.jpg

I was the only early Z, one 370Z and only 12 foreign cars. I like shows where I am the only Z, lots of interest.