IGNORED

Starting a new project...Subaru STI Differential swap into my Z

I totally missed it… but then again, I did not go to hybrid and read a word before I tried this…I just new the R180 was an easy swap and I figured I would wing it! :)

I just have to swap out flanges, but I think I may have to do it quirky, as I already filled the diff to the appropriate level…

Oooops.

As far as the RT mount, everyone seems to have experienced the same thing as far as the tight squeeze. I had to beat mine into submission also!! )

Heh, I got mine from Brian at TechnoVersions and it fit the best I've ever seen a part fit on anything. I test fit it before cleaning everything up and it didn't slide in, but after I brushed the road grime off it was sittin' pretty. I bet an extra layer of paint or two would've added too much thickness.

Good move, also feel how much easier the subaru diff turns compared to your old diff, less drivetrain losses.

I've got a 4.44 plated subaru r180 LSD to go in mine with the beta motorsports output shafts, combined with the s14 gearbox it should be a nice combo.

Good thread ;)

madkaw

I got the pinion nut on the front of the diff off easy enough with my impact. However, the Yoke that is splined onto it is not budging an inch. Is there a secondary retention method on that thing, or is the yoke on the front of the diff that the drive shaft bolts to, really that tight!! I have had a sledge and screwdriver on it, and it did not even think about coming lose.

I really do not want to pull the diff back out, but did you use a puller? OR did your front yoke just slide off.

I had one hell of a time getting my RT mount in aswell, it was a very tight fit. One thing I would suggest doing as a safety precaution would be to measure the rotating torque of the pinion before removing the nut and tighten to the same spec. While doing my r200 swap I replaced my pinion flange seal and even made a punch mark on the nut before removal so I could re install to the same mark, but I decided to ignore the mark I made and follow the torque spec in the fsm which resulted in the nut being about 1/8th of a turn tighter and with in a few days of driving I had a nice humming diff. The pinion bearings were toast so out came the diff again for a rebuild!

Okay well I left a beautiful set of 11s on the road this morning. Got up early, took the day off and finished up on the Z! HUZZAH

The puller did the trick I am happy to say. THE rest was just bolting up parts and she was off.

LEt me tell you though. The sound that thing made backing up the first time was NOT a good one. IT sounded rough, like the LSD was not happy to be spinning under load or something. NO idea what it was, but I drove her gingerly around the block Just listening. My diff whine that I had for ever slowly vanished. The thing runs quiet now as far as I can tell. Backing up into the garage was silent as a mouse. So I looked for leaks and took her back out again, this time determined to break it. IF she is going to break let it be close to the house right.

Pulled out on the highway and just floored it in 1st. The car jumped sideways and pulled like a damn train. leaving two lines behind me. Yeah… um that was fun. Those 3.90 gear really wake up that L28. She gets into her rev range very quickly now. I shifted into 2nd and 3rd very hard and I do think I have a clunk now. I may have not adjusted my RT mount right, or I cut too much off and it is the metal cross member on the RT mount. NOt a big deal. lowering the front of the diff is hardly an issue.

So over all I am thrilled. Only now I have mysteriously developed a wicked shimmy in the front end. :ogre::ogre:

I thought it could be from the tires sitting so long, but it has never been right since I took it to Nissan to have an alignment done. So a more thorough investigation is needed.