IGNORED

Starting a new project...Subaru STI Differential swap into my Z

I have replaced everything in the drivetrain except the Diff in my Z. I am going to do this in stages.

First I am going to buy an R180 STI LSD differential. Already bidding on one on Ebay.

Next up is the Wolf Creek output shafts so I can bolt up my half half shafts

Finally after I save up a few more dollars, I will get the CV shafts form Wolf Creek to complete the conversion.

I plan to take as many photos as possible. I may drop the rear suspension to replace the spring top hats.

But we will see how bad the 'while I am at its get'

Nope - the same guys that have been making these diffs for years- Fuji

Stephen, you might check the Subby forums too for guys selling there diffs. I got mine from someone who was parting out an STI.

I wish I could afford the driveshafts myself to finish the transition.

So far, nothing bad to report from doing this swap

It must be an STI rear diff, which is the R180 just like ours, the WRX diff is the R160, and it will not work in 240Z's.

My bid for an STI diff fell through... back on the hunt.

$T2eC16h,!)wFIZrQuFnzBSb+rtwyBw~~60_57.JPG

Huzzah!

499 shipped to my door!

2004 STI rear diff, 3.90 ratio, LSD, with 45000 miles on it.

Next up is wolf creek racing out put shafts.

Edited by Zedyone_kenobi

actually no it is not sir. The real reason is that my diff has leaky seals, and has always had a bit whine. I figured if I had a choice, I would love a LSD and a bit higher gear ratio (like an auto 240Z rear end). The STI rear diff and wolf creek half shafts sort of gives me a newer diff, with an LSD, and a higher gear ratio for a pretty decent price. Rebuilt Z diffs seem to go for about 900 bucks. I figured this is a viable alternative.

I would NEVER put a V8 into my car. I love my datsun spirit L28. :)

The STI rear diff is a 3.90, so it is not a huge step from my OEM diff. Plus if I ever get a 5 speed in there, it will work beautifully.