IGNORED

I open myself for you criticism!

ksechler

Nice! My fuel pump looked almost that bad when I pulled it. I cleaned it up and sandblasted the outside. Looks pretty good now. I don't have pics up yet.

You sure went to a lot of trouble installing and removing things for mock up! I am hoping to avoid too much of that as I go, LOL

ksechler, no criticism just a question, it looks like you have the the proportioning valve hooked up to the rear brakes, is that right?

I'm going to be installing rear disc brakes on a Z next year and the reading I have done  favours connecting the proportioning valve to the front, the reason being that most Z brake upgrades have a heavy front brake bias so with the PV you lighten up the front bias until you have the rears coming on when you want them and the rest of the pressure goes to the front.

I'm still figuring this all out and would like to hear your POV.

Thanks,

Chris

ksechler, no criticism just a question, it looks like you have the the proportioning valve hooked up to the rear brakes, is that right?

I'm going to be installing rear disc brakes on a Z next year and the reading I have done  favours connecting the proportioning valve to the front, the reason being that most Z brake upgrades have a heavy front brake bias so with the PV you lighten up the front bias until you have the rears coming on when you want them and the rest of the pressure goes to the front.

I'm still figuring this all out and would like to hear your POV.

Thanks,

Chris

Hmmm...

My understanding was that the rear disc upgrade increased the rear braking power which required a proportioning valve to the rear brake to allow the proper bias to be established.  

Hmmm...

My understanding was that the rear disc upgrade increased the rear braking power which required a proportioning valve to the rear brake to allow the proper bias to be established.  

Well, at the rate you are going with your resto you will soon know for sure one way or the other.

Really enjoying your thread.

Chris

Never put the prop valve in the front lines, proportioning is done by limiting rear pressure.

But so many Z brake "upgrades"  have heavy front bias, how do you get enough pressure to the back if the PV is wide open?

Leon, I'm not saying I know more about brakes cause I don't, just trying to understand this before I plumb the brake lines in.

But so many Z brake "upgrades"  have heavy front bias, how do you get enough pressure to the back if the PV is wide open?

Leon, I'm not saying I know more about brakes cause I don't, just trying to understand this before I plumb the brake lines in.

Chris,

I would not call them "upgrades" more like poorly engineered bling than anything else. That is when bling takes preference over quality of your brakes.

One thing to keep in mind when doing any mods to the brakes. Datsun had a experienced engineering team designing and testing the braking system and plenty of years R&D.

Any of us doing an upgrade won't have this support behind us. Test runs in a parking lot won't even be close to the testing the original brakes went through.

I rebuild my brakes and fitted porterfield R4-S pads and shoes. Massive improvement on the old pads and shoes. A bit pricey but worth it imo.