IGNORED

Z history based on VIN

wtsawyer

I'm looking at what's purported to be a 1978 280 Z 2+2 turbo with VIN HGS130-1130XX. However, I can't find any data based on the early VIN's only having 12-digits rather than the newer 15-digit numbering. How might I chase this care down based on her VIN?

Secondly, in 1970, I bought a butterscotch 240Z in East Corinth, Maine and lowered the suspension, installed a 5-speed tranny and limited slip diff for auto-crossing along with home-made rear window louvre. I recall her VIN was HLS30-12015 or 17. I sold her in Denver in 1972 when we had children. Any suggestions how I might find out who currently owns my old 'Z'?

I stopped by a "Z" club event in Mt. Dora, Florida last fall and didn't get any help from a handful of "old" Z owners when I told 1970 VIN story. Not very helpful and most impolite I might add.

Thanks so much!

Unless you can get DMV records, you can't trace much. From the VIN, I would say it's probably a 79 with a turbo swap. The build date might be late 78. What are you concerned about that you want to track down its history?

As for your 70, considering the nature of the steel used and the fact it lived it Maine and Colorado (salt country), I wouldn't be surprised if it was melted down for scrap a long time ago. Unless it's in one of the online registries, I'm not sure how you would track it down if it is still alive.