rear suspension bar broken - Page 2 - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

rear suspension bar broken

Featured Replies

A typical failure with a R200 installed. As mentioned above, a small nick or mark became a stress riser and over time a crack developed. At some point the bar fails while accelerating from a stop in first gear (most torque load). I've seen these a number of times with R200s, never with a R180. Also as mentioned you need to inspect the front diff mount and front diff cross member. Those are most likely damaged.

  • Author

Thanks for that insight. Sounds like I need to get quite a bit done. Since I'm not equipped to do much, does anyone have a suggestion for a place in Indiana that I could trust to take it to?

Damn, that's quite a failure, complete fracture of the m-bar. That's a pretty thick piece of spring steel (strong stuff). I had no idea it was a somewhat common occurrence (on R200 installs).

Like Leon said, I have never seen this happen. Also thought this was one of the stronger pieces of the rear end. Amazing photos.

Metal fatigue is different than just a straight overload failure. A picture of the broken end would be interesting, to see if there was a crack there before the final failure. Weathered material versus shiny new surface. Maybe we should be Magnafluxing our mustache bars.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

I've seen it with an R180 too. Guy I used to autox with snapped one.

IMHO. The diff is still attached to half the bar, and could be still driven, albeit very carefully

and avoid any hills on your drive home.

Of course a transport or tow is really the way to go.

Where are you in Indiana and how much money do you have;)

Metal fatigue is different than just a straight overload failure. A picture of the broken end would be interesting, to see if there was a crack there before the final failure. Weathered material versus shiny new surface. Maybe we should be Magnafluxing our mustache bars.

Sure is. But these bars are thick spring steel, clearly designed to prevent fatigue failures. A stress concentration would do it though, whether it's a crack or imperfections in the metal. Magnafluxing might not be a bad idea if it will see "heavy" usage...

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.