rear suspension bar broken - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

rear suspension bar broken

Featured Replies

I got my 1977 280Z out for the first time this year and when I accelerated from a stop a steel bar in the rear suspension broke. I'm not sure what the bar is called, maybe a trailer bar or sway bar or mustache bar or strut support? It is bolted to the frame/unibody in the center right behind the rear axle and connects to each side under the struts I believe. Any ideas of what it's called, how to get it off, and replace it?

Thanks!

Jeff J.

  • Author

I just found it on the diagram. It is the rear mustache bar. Any suggestions on how to replace and where to get a new one?

thanks!

  • Author

Any idea if driving my Z home - 1 mile slowly with a broken mustache bar will do any damage to other parts?

Thanks!

Jeff J.

Respectfully, get a manual. Look it over to familiarize your self with the procedure. Search the forum for threads related to this repair. Then ask for advice when something needs clarification. I don't want to sound brusk, it's just the best way.

It's best to say, "I looked here, here, and here and can't find one..." And, "When the manual says 'x', what does that mean?". The FSM : http://http://www.xenons30.com/reference.html

See post #8...

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/suspension-steering-s30/37127-77-280z-mustache-bar-removal.html

Atlantic Z site:

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/moustache/index.html

Edited by Willoughby Z
add link for FSM

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Jeebus, how much torque is your engine making???

If your mustach bar is broken, all sorts of torsional/bending loads will now be imparted on the front diff mount and can cause that to fail too. I don't know if a slow drive home will do it, but it might depending on how badly damaged the mustache bar is. If you have AAA or something similar, I'd just tow it home.

I still can't believe your m-bar failed. Please upload pics when you get a chance.

Any idea if driving my Z home - 1 mile slowly with a broken mustache bar will do any damage to other parts?

Thanks!

Jeff J.

WAG? Slowly, for a mile, cautiously in turns, gentle acceleration, slow braking, of course- no.

Jeebus, how much torque is your engine making???

If your mustach bar is broken, all sorts of torsional/bending loads will now be imparted on the front diff mount and can cause that to fail too. I don't know if a slow drive home will do it, but it might depending on how badly damaged the mustache bar is. If you have AAA or something similar, I'd just tow it home.

I still can't believe your m-bar failed. Please upload pics when you get a chance.

Leon, didn't someone just have this happen to them? - accidently dumped the clutch while revving, or something.

  • Author

I totally understand. This is my first time on the site. I really appreciate the responses. I'm just happy to know the name of the part so I can find it and fix it.

Thanks!

Jeff J.

  • Author

These pictures aren't very good, but you can see the break on the driver's side. It's pretty rusty. Unfortunately, there is a lot of rust in other places, so this may be the beginning of the end or a lot of replacements.

Thanks,

Jeff J.

post-29134-14150823471995_thumb.jpg

post-29134-14150823472564_thumb.jpg

post-29134-14150823473118_thumb.jpg

It's a spring (steel). It could have been abused before your ownership, causing stress cracks. IMO, this didn't happen from rust. The pictures suggest lots of surface rust on larger, substantial components, which means that rubber pieces are toast and fasteners will be a bitch to remove. This will very likely be a six-pack of PB Blaster, a torch, wire brush and the acceptance that you'll be facing a "while I'm at it..."

70-78 DATSUN 240Z 260Z 280Z REAR DIFFERENTIAL MOUNT MUSTACHE BAR ""OEM PARTS"" on eBay!

Edited by Willoughby Z

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.