IGNORED

Nice Survivor!

JLPurcell

Hi Carl,

Some photos of the engine compartment that you requested. Original carbs going back on and bad hoses and unoriginal clamps have been replaced already. Car came from same dealer as orange one.

Mark

Hi Mark:

Thanks - very nice looking engine compartment, that looks like a super low mileage example. Of course if you to the original carbs back on - you'll have to install all the original fuel line wraps etc. The yellow dot on your fuel pump shows that it was returned to the Dealer for Fuel System modifications as well.

Look at the Cad Plating on the parts on your engine and then look at the one Advertised. The amount of grime on each, the condition of the blue paint on the block etc. The staining and grime on the valve covers. I'd love to go inspect the Car Advertised...

I still say that even given the super low mileage is correct - the car still needs a lot of elbow grease to bring it up to a standard that could command something above $20K in todays market. I do know a few Collectors that LOVE super low mileage near perfect examples - and they have paid silly money when they find the right car..

FWIW,

Carl B.

Thanks Carl,

Just dropped carbs off today for a rebuild and to sort out parts that did not come with the car. Have my work cut out but got the winter to take care of everything. The search begins...

Agree the orange car does not seem up to par with miles they indicate really depends on weather it was driven in and how it was stored.

The dealer this car is at bases their prices off a 280 Zzzap that also had low mileage that they sold high.

The fuel line wraps were an add on if you had vapor lock issues. I had a 73 and they were dealer installed when I started to have those issues. Not all cars had the problems and they tried other remedies as well as you probably know. I'm going to have the inside of the exhaust manifold ceramic coated to help with the heat issues along with the back side of the heat shields. Don't tell anyone... Ha Ha.

Keep up with all the great knowledge to all of us, we all appreciate it.

Regards,

Mark

Carl, I have asked if they can document the miles on the car.

Here is the response I recieved in regard to my request for documentation on the 8K miles.

"This car only has the original documents (window sticker, sales reciepts etc, books tools)from new and only the one owner. No service records, oil changes or carfax. This is a REAL nice car with the correct miles. Also has the correct rims w/ hubcaps(no repro parts here). We here at Exotic Classics do not fake, or fool buyers to buy are cars that do not represent. We also hand select our cars when most dealers just do your average deals. I personally have owned three 240Z in my past and know them better than most folks. I am very honest and true to what I say. I only collect original cars and know their value as you read in my last emails. Please, if interested, come by or send someone who knows these cars and do a proper PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection). We stand behind this car and miles as we do all our vehicles.

As a collector of only original classic cars, I would not hesitate to grab this one since it is one of my favorite cars here. This is a one of one."

I just found this past listing on EBay. There were no bids at the opening bid of $24,500.00. Steve has indicated that they may be willing to take $31,000.00 for the car. I am surprised that the car did not have at least a opening bid at $24,500.00.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/240z-/150943120145?_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&forcev4exp=true#ht_16051wt_1165

I think they can dream all they want - it cost them money to hold a car. No "Dealer" that I know of would pay more than $20K for that car in todays economy. If you really like the car tell Steve you are a buyer at $25K - and in the mean time you'll keep looking. It's the end of the month and nearing the end of the year - Christmas is comming and Winter is here - all this adds to VERY SLOW Sports Car Sales... In the mean time we'll keep looking for you... If the Dealer wants to be silly - let him keep the car for a few more months.. As long as you show a lot of interest - they won't DEAL..

FWIW,

Carl B.

Just went through the pictures again. That interior says 8K miles. Very little sag in the seats, clean wood on the steering wheel as well as the black paint, although it may have been touched up. The foot pad on the floor mat is intact and it looks to be the correct carpet. Radio knobs are very clean. Very nice interior indeed.

In spite of the muffler discrepancy, the chrome in the muffler area is very clean. On my ’70 with 97K miles, the exhaust has definitely effected the chrome finish and rubber in that area. The chrome and rubber finishers look to be very clean on this car.

Now, how to explain the engine? So many scenarios here. Owner could have used an engine cleaner on it and not rinsed thoroughly before running motor hot. Car could have been kept in a coastal environment with salt in the air. Maybe in an industrial area where dew point would cause water to be slightly acidic. These last two might also effect the rear muffler. Hard to say. Would really be nice to have a set of eyes trained eyes look at this and report back. Sometimes pictures are very forgiving of a cars faults.

Hi Carl,

Some photos of the engine compartment that you requested. Original carbs going back on and bad hoses and unoriginal clamps have been replaced already. Car came from same dealer as orange one.

Mark

Hi All - had to chime in.......the silver 1973 was my car for about 2 years...I believe I owned it from 2009 to 2011. I bought it from a collector/friend in GA (he lived there at that time)....if it has an automatic transmission than it definitly was mine. I sold it in 2011 to another collector/friend in Long Island NY who either consigned it or sold it to the dealer in NY. When I got the '73 it had about 6,000 miles on it so I put about 1,000 miles per year on it over that period of time. I wanted to drive it but didn't want to hit 10,000 miles so I decided to sell it. I bought it with the original flat top carbs but we couldn't get them properly tuned so I bought a pair of round top SU's from a friend in Lutz. The original flat tops and related parts should have been included when you purchased it because I saved everything and passed them on when I sold it. I loved that car....I hope you are enjoying it.

Jeff Mader Sudbury MA

Hi Mark:

Thanks - very nice looking engine compartment, that looks like a super low mileage example. Of course if you to the original carbs back on - you'll have to install all the original fuel line wraps etc. The yellow dot on your fuel pump shows that it was returned to the Dealer for Fuel System modifications as well.

Look at the Cad Plating on the parts on your engine and then look at the one Advertised. The amount of grime on each, the condition of the blue paint on the block etc. The staining and grime on the valve covers. I'd love to go inspect the Car Advertised...

I still say that even given the super low mileage is correct - the car still needs a lot of elbow grease to bring it up to a standard that could command something above $20K in todays market. I do know a few Collectors that LOVE super low mileage near perfect examples - and they have paid silly money when they find the right car..

FWIW,

Carl B.

Carl - you know this silver Z to. It was bought by our friend who at the time lived in GA (now FL). I think when he bought it it had 5K miles on it. He did a ton of work to it as it sat for 25 years....I bought it from him a few years back....and eventually sold it to the collector in Long Island.

Jeff Mader

Hi Jeff - Yes, I know the car. It was originally sold here in Florida. Two or Three people that all worked at the same place had owned it one after the other. Our friend in Atlanta talked to all of them before he bought it. I located several of the 240Z's that wound up in his collection. Over the past 15 years or so - I've personally seen about 25 240Z's with less than 25K original miles on them. If they were driven and garage kept - they all had cleaner engines than the subject car being advertised. That Silver car was kept in a Car Port for more than 10 years before it was sold - but it has always been a beautiful example.

Mileage is important but it is only one factor that goes into the value of the car - Condition is perhaps the Top Factor. Our friend in Florida, then our friend in Atlanta owned a White 72 with 16K original miles. I was there when it came off the truck from California. We went over that car for more than an hour trying to find one thing that wasn't perfect - couldn't find it. Engine Cad Plating everything still looked like the day it was on the showroom floor. As clean an undercarriage as the day it was produced..

8K, 18K, 28K original miles doesn't matter - the condition of the engine in the Z that is the subject of the Thread knocks the car out of the Top Money category. Not to mention none of us have a clue what condition the fuel system is in etc etc.

Just my opinion..

Carl B.