IGNORED

My two swiss S30Z Fairlady Restoration build thread

JDMjunkies.ch

On 4/25/2023 at 11:00 PM, kats said:

Hi, I just wanted to say the data of FS5C71B in the book is inaccurate. 
My red writing is just my idea, since FS5C71B has two types of ratio for the 1st and 2nd. Nice sportier gearing has E9500 for its related parts while  the other has E9507. If you remember these numbers it will help you to distinguish which is a correct part for your FS5C71B when you shopping.

By the way I am trying to summarize data of transmissions, it is very complicated!

Kats

HI Kats, As an owner of very late production RS30Q (10th last from what I see) which I gather was manufactured in June 1978, these late 260z's (as we sometimes know them as) came with the 3.321 1st gear, as the diff ratio changed from 3.7 (pre 8/76) to 3.54.

I hope that helps

• Like 1

On 4/27/2023 at 6:19 PM, JDMjunkies.ch said:

have to double check if those are really from the 240Z, but nevertheless, they're a set of NOS factory decoration stripe decals. I won't use them, so will definitely put them up for sale, once i have confirmed what car they're for

Off the top of my head the -P71 suffix part number indicates it could be for the s130z, though i can't quite remember what range the P numbers are, but its not S30.

• Like 1

So today another bunch of parts arrived:
20230504_153943-Kopie.jpg

First a bunch of goodies from Sean over at datsun-zstory.com in France.
A Bronze upgrade worm gear for the oil pump:
20230504_154003-Kopie.jpg

Something similar has been on sale by Nissan (in this catalogue they state it's brass, but in some others, they mention it's bronze too).
2023-05-04-19_24_35-s-l1603.jpg-‎-Window

And a set of replica stainless steel window corner trim pieces, which he just recently released. It's also planned to release the longer parts soon too. so maybe i'll get a set of those too. from my first glance they look excellent!
20230504_154016-Kopie.jpg

And then another bunch of panels from KFVintageJDM parts in Bogota. After we decided to redo the work on the right side, that my previous panel beater did so-so. I thought let's just buy whatever is available so i have it on hand if needed. i can easy sell thos items anytime if i don't need them and i didn't want to make any more unplanned orders. so basically i have almost every part of the usual problematic areas in stock and ready to be replaced. It's easy for a skilled panelbeater to make such panels by hand, but if you look at all these die-stampted details from the KFVintage parts, made as close as possible to the original panels, i have to say it will become hard to get all the details right. so here we are.
20230503_203645-Kopie.jpg

I Will visit the bodyshop next week to have a look at the progress, So far i haven't got any feedback, which worries me a bit, but is nice if they prefer to work on the car instead of texting and sending photos. I'll see..

• Like 2

Sooo, i'm thrilled to bring you finally a *drumroll* update from the Bodyshop! After 1,5 weeks i thought it's about time to give them a visit and see if they made any progress. I didn't get a lot of updates so i was a bit worried if anything had been done.
But turns out they rather focus on working than sending me messages. When i arrived the guys were working in full swing:
20230510_141248-Kopie.jpg

After thinking about only replacing the rotten parts, they quickly realized it makes more sense to replace the whole panels, since i had those completely NOS items on hand.
Like the air channel
20230510_141407-Kopie.jpg

Or the frame rails:
20230510_141410-Kopie.jpg

They also discovered this nasty bend, which i never realized. It must have got a hard hit at one point, which made the whole area move a bit.
20230510_141519-Kopie.jpg

They also started to replace the firewall lower are with the KFV Panels and so far the feedback was that those panely fit like the OEM ones!
20230510_141908-Kopie.jpg

They forgot to send me the pictures, but they made some and had them on the computer to show me. This is how the car looks with the complete front inner fender and the upper air channels removed:
20230510_142341-Kopie.jpg

And including the frame-rail also gone:
20230510_142350-Kopie.jpg

New frame rail in and primered:
20230510_142421-Kopie.jpg

Inner fender in, primered, and the welding area sanded down again (they use a special welding primer there):
20230510_142619-Kopie.jpg

They also removed the replacement roof skin from the frame. It was in very good condition when i bought it. Unfortunately i gave it to a guy who wanted to use it as a template to make a carbon roof.
20230510_144439-Kopie.jpg

While removing the mold from the roof, he applied pressurized air and then the roof bent inwards completely. He brought it to a panelbeater to have it fixed, but he left a lot of dents on the roof. The new guys will fix it, but it's again a lot of additional and unplanned work...
20230510_144746-Kopie.jpg

After all i'm quite happy. One corner was done quickly. I also brought them many panels from the right side, so they will be able to rework what the previous bodyshop did. It's a bit of a bummer and i'm not happy with it, but now is the time to get it done right, so yeah. 20230510_145055-Kopie.jpg

Also yesterday i got this Exedy / Daikin OE replacement clutch kit, which i ordered a few days ago:
20230509_164629-Kopie.jpg

You may ask why, when i have most of the original clutch Parts in NOS condition in stock?
First of all they seem lighter (i still have to compare them), secondly they come with all the installtion tools required (centering tool, bearing, grease, etc) and last, i just thought the materials used might be a tad more modern and advanced, and maybe less harmfull then the ones used in the original 70ies production clutch. Since you won't notice anything from the outside, i thougth this is a good upgrade and easy to revert to original setup if required at a later point.
20230509_164718-Kopie.jpg

That's it for today. I hope for more updates from the bodyshop soon 🙂

• Like 4

On 5/4/2023 at 1:35 PM, JDMjunkies.ch said:

First a bunch of goodies from Sean over at datsun-zstory.com in France.
A Bronze upgrade worm gear for the oil pump:

After looking at Sean's website, I was unable to find any mention of these parts (window trim pieces, oil pump gear).  Did I miss something?  If not, how did you learn that they were available?

38 minutes ago, Namerow said:

After looking at Sean's website, I was unable to find any mention of these parts (window trim pieces, oil pump gear).  Did I miss something?  If not, how did you learn that they were available?

Yeah he doesn't have them listed on the website. I found the oil pump gear on ebay from him directly and the chrome trim stuff he just recently announced via email. best to give him a mail or DM via Facebook to get a quote