IGNORED

240Z Seat Belt Hangers?

Love my 72 240Z

I can second Bryan

pics are of hls-30 41000-8/71 and the belts are very original! Ignore the seats-they are not. Belt J hook fastens to quarter window lower corner

Obviously these seat belts changed every year based on changing NHTSA requirements, that I believe were in flux during that time. The pictured belt above and by 26th is nothing at all like my 8/71 belt which has the Z logo printed on the center of the push-button female buckle. The j-hook was also located on the vehicle below the forward part of the quarter window. BTW, the bolts are 7/16" x 20.

Here are some photos:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/open-zcar-discussion/48091-looking-re-tractable-seat-belt-parts-restoration.html#post417772

post-7622-14150822416766_thumb.jpg

post-27201-1415082243665_thumb.jpg

yes, here's the owner manual page for the 1970 240Z. George's style in correct. I got some roadster belts which are the same style but chrome with a grey insert, and they have a milky plastic belt keepers ( the thing that holds the belt end together with the belt ) i'm guessing they keepers should be black like yours, Steve.

My favorite line from the instructions:

"The shoulder belt should never be worn without the lap belt"

Now just how in the heck could you even attempt to do that with this type of design? Crazy translation or generic seat belt caution text copied from another source?

Hi Ken,

I went into the garage and measured my J-hook location, which should be real accurate. From the center of that top chrome phillips oval head machine screw that secures the top of the seat back bracket to the center of the small phillip self tapping screws that fastens the small J-hook to the outer side of the seat back measures exactly 8 1/2".

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Dan

I printed out the photo provide by Dr Z above and used the width of the seatbelt buckle as a reference. From that image I estimate that distance to be 210mm. (I have recently installed blue seat cover from Motorsports and had neglected to measure the holes while the covers were off).

Dan's measurement works out to 216mm. The difference should be beyond the tolerance of my measurement technique.

Then I realized that with self tapping screws into the fiberglass seat back, this may have been an eyeball measurement on the factory floor. Moreover, with self tapping screws, you might not want to try to hit the original hole anyway.

• 6 years later...
9 hours ago, ToXIc said:

sry to bump an old thread but what does the J.Hook fasten to? does it just screw into the foam? 

The J hook screw threads into the steel frame of the seat back on a 1970 (guessing by your serial number).  The location of the hole is 216mm above the upper seat back mounting screw on my 7'70.

HTH Mike

20190423_044039.jpg