IGNORED

240Z Seat Belt Hangers?

Love my 72 240Z

Guys,

My 72 Z does not have retractable shoulder seat belt straps, but instead has a "J" hook on the interior dog leg panel right below quarter glass. How does the shoulder strap attach to the "J" hook? Should there be an attachment on the shoulder strap that mates with the "J" hook? Or does the strap itself rest in the "J" hook? Thanks, David

If they are the original seat belts -

This also means that your 72 was built before Nov/Dec. of 71. Just curious - what is your VIN and Build Date. You most likely also don't have a RED Seat Belt Warning Light on your Center Console - yes/no. As well as horizontal defroster lines in the rear glass.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Dan, thank you - that makes sense - I just haven't been around Z's for so long (over 20 years since my last car and before this "refreshing project" I am now doing) this refreshing project is upping my knowledge base on the 240Z :). Thank you.

Carl - 4/72 - with not seat belt warning light and yes horizontal defroster lines. I think Dan's info answers my question. Thank you for the input.

Dan, thank you - that makes sense - I just haven't been around Z's for so long (over 20 years since my last car and before this "refreshing project" I am now doing) this refreshing project is upping my knowledge base on the 240Z :). Thank you.

Carl - 4/72 - with not seat belt warning light and yes horizontal defroster lines. I think Dan's info answers my question. Thank you for the input.

Hey Carl, looks like some old technology might have slipped through. ;)

Yes, something doesn't line up. By 4/72 the seat belt warning system was required by the Fed's and every car after 01/72 that I've found - came with self retracting seat belts. But David mentioned "retractable shoulder seat belt straps". So I think his question may have been more about the shoulder belt part and how or if that was supposed to hang on the "J" hook by itself.

With these old Z's you never know what some previous owner has done. Many people didn't like the self retracting seat belts - as they couldn't be used as easily to lock yourself in the seat. A lot of guys that auto-crossed or did track days replaced them with the older style. Most people didn't appreciate the seat belt warning buzzer and light either - so many of them were simply disconnected. Likewise the door open warning buzzers... LOL

Always interesting..

Carl B.

Yes, something doesn't line up. By 4/72 the seat belt warning system was required by the Fed's and every car after 01/72 that I've found - came with self retracting seat belts. But David mentioned "retractable shoulder seat belt straps". So I think his question may have been more about the shoulder belt part and how or if that was supposed to hang on the "J" hook by itself.

With these old Z's you never know what some previous owner has done. Many people didn't like the self retracting seat belts - as they couldn't be used as easily to lock yourself in the seat. A lot of guys that auto-crossed or did track days replaced them with the older style. Most people didn't appreciate the seat belt warning buzzer and light either - so many of them were simply disconnected. Likewise the door open warning buzzers... LOL

Always interesting..

Carl B.

We need a key in the ignition buzzer.

The open loop of the chrome metal male seat belt fastener on the shoulder harness rests in the "J hook". I think you will find everything you need if you do a search for "J Hooks".

Dan

Actually, no.

The male half of the seat belt stays attached to the shoulder harness via the double keyhole on the metal opposite where it latches to the female half of the seat belt. The Adjuster on the Shoulder Harness has a big "D" loop that goes into the J hook on the dog leg. Same as with the earlier version on the seat.

2¢

E

Sorry if I was too blunt.

I have had passengers in my car get befuddled trying to separate the shoulder belt from the lap belt so they can use that odd "keyhole" to hang the belt, then using the square part and complaining that it isn't long enough.... yada yada yada... and then almost breaking the hook trying to insert the metal buckle.

I figured you knew how to do it, after winning a Gold Medallion. Congratulations by the way.

E

• 1 month later...

hello,

hoping somebody can help me here. I've got an early 70 (vin 5335) and i'm trying to get the belts cleaned up - i have the original shoulder belts - the lap belts are replacement. it seems the anchor bolts are 7/16-20" (?) i was hoping somebody could tell me how these things go together? i'm assuming the shoulder belt anchor should be able to rotate once assembled. the drivers side bolt goes in several turns then stops, the passenger side doesn't stop. i would also assume you don't want to tighten down on the plastic interior panel, but the bolt still needs to tighten against something. one side had a plastic bushing as well. btw, does anybody know what the thread is on the coat hangers???

• 4 weeks later...