IGNORED

Door Glass Rollers/Bumpers

fixitman

Carl, if the front of your glass angles up and forward and the back of your glass goes straight up then your glass must have elastic properties that most of us don't have on our cars. ;) The entire door glass advances from back to front as the window is raised, so if you had both rollers, they both need to be angled in the same orientation.

Hi Jim:

LOL - My glass doesn't stretch. On the other hand we must have some odd doors - my windows advance from front to back as the window is raised. I can tell that because if I raise the window about 1" - I can see that the back edge of the window is a few inches from the back frame. The back frame is more or less straight - so the window has to get back there somehow.

I think we could say that the entire door glass gets wider from front to back as the window is raised.

Let me rephrase that original sentence again... Although it made perfect sense to me as I wrote it. LOL

The front of the glass comes up at an angle so the Roller is angled to glide across it.

The front of the door glass is formed at an angle, to match the slope of the front window frame - so the Roller is set at an angle to match the leading edge of the glass and glide across that leading edge without binding - as the window moves up and back.

Yes, you can install them in reverse - but over time as the initial single point of contact wears - the windows are harder to roll up as they start to bind, and then the steel above the pivot breaks.

While we are at it - I'll mention that the rubber bumpers in the bottom of the door are also very important to have in place. They prevent the window from being lowered below the fuzzy on the door panels. If they aren't there - the glass can get lowered too far, and on its way back up - it can get bound up under the wrong side of that Fuzzy... {been there done that too}

FWIW,

Carl B.

And is this the original location for the rollers?

If you have a 260Z and looking at your Profile it look like you do - then Yes.

For others following - On the 240Z the roller is about 6" from the front of the door - you'll see where the metal is cut out for it.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Edited by Carl Beck

I'm confused. Is the original factory location for the roller in the front or rear of the door, hinge side or latch side?

Thanks,

Fixitman

One roller per door on 240, near the front of the door, around 18inches from the hinges.

Edited by olzed

If you have a 260Z and looking at your Profile it look like you do - then Yes.

For others following - On the 240Z the roller is about 6" from the front of the door - you'll see where the metal is cut out for it.

FWIW,

Carl B.

You are correct; I have an early 260. The doors have two cut outs. Hence, the confusion. So to be clear, the 240 rollers are installed at the front (hinge side) cut out. The 260 rollers are installed at the rear (latch side) cut out. Correct?

You are correct; I have an early 260. The doors have two cut outs. Hence, the confusion. So to be clear, the 240 rollers are installed at the front (hinge side) cut out. The 260 rollers are installed at the rear (latch side) cut out. Correct?

Yes -vthat seems to be Correct. The Rollers have different part numbers between the 240Z and 260Z - - so I'd have to guess that they are slightly different as well.

FWIW,

Carl B.

I don't know why they would change the location of the rollers from the 240 to the 260 as there are few differences between the two door styles (aside from interior trim), but the microfiche I have shows the SAME part number pairs for both vehicles.

See fiches 6/8 G16 120-3 Item 26 and 7/8 G8 142-2 igtems 14 & 15.

E

I don't know why they would change the location of the rollers from the 240 to the 260 as there are few differences between the two door styles (aside from interior trim), but the microfiche I have shows the SAME part number pairs for both vehicles.

See fiches 6/8 G16 120-3 Item 26 and 7/8 G8 142-2 igtems 14 & 15.

E

Hi E.

My microfiche is Revised Dec. 1979. Same references as you cite. You are correct - my error - they are the same part numbers.

I would guess that moving the Roller toward the rear might keep it in better contact with the glass with the window down - as I recall it barely touches the front of the glass when the window is down.

FWIW,

Carl B.