IGNORED

Door Glass Rollers/Bumpers

fixitman

The FSM for 240's and 260's shows the door glass rollers or bumpers almost in the center of the door along the top outer lip. However, the shop is telling me that they do not fit in that location. Can anyone describe the correct location or provide a photo of an installed roller?

Thanks,

Fixitman

Probably more of a mis-aligned drawing where the perspective line is easy to misconstrue.

I've attached a snapshot of the respective sheet of the club's CD with the locations annotated.

While the vehicles arrived from the factory with only ONE, there is provision on the door for TWO. Many users have found that having both rollers greatly reduces window rattle when the window is only partly lowered.

The rollers ARE sided.

HTH

E

post-1490-1415082062581_thumb.png

I couldn't find any info on it being superseded, but then again, although the CD microfiche does list the 77/8 model in the model listing, the parts listing only says "From Aug 73".

Does anyone else have a parts breakdown for the 77? What about a more recent version of the FAST?

FWIW

E

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying my 77 doesn't have the rollers... I'm just saying that I don't remember seeing them. LOL

I had my driver's side door panel off a little while ago and I just put it back on. I wasn't in there for window stuff so I wasn't specifically looking into it. I'm gonna pull the pass side next, and I'll definitely pay a little more attention while I'm in there on that side.

For the 240Z the window roller goes toward the front - there is a cut-out in the door metal where it fits. The rollers are mounted at an angle to the glass. So there is a Left Roller and a Right Roller - they do not interchange. The front of the glass comes up at an angle so the Roller is angled to glide across it.

I've never seen a second Roller for the 240Z - but if one were mounted toward the rear of the glass - it would have to be more or less mounted without the angle - as the rear of the glass comes more or less straight up in the window frame.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Probably more of a mis-aligned drawing where the perspective line is easy to misconstrue.

I've attached a snapshot of the respective sheet of the club's CD with the locations annotated.

Yes - it is a bad perspective. The Drawing shown is for the 260Z from Aug 73 Forward. Where E has the ??? is where the Roller is shown in the 260Z Drawing.

The Drawings in the Parts Catalog for the 240Z is a little less confusing - as it shows the Rollers in relation to the door panel fuzzy - and moved away from the door in the background. The Parts Catalog shows different Part Numbers for the 240Z and 260Z as well

Right and Left 240Z

80933-N3400

80934-N3400

Right and Left 260Z

80840-E4101

80841-E4101

I have not seen the Rollers on the 260Z - are they mounted straight, unlike the 240Z Rollers? If so I could see that they would be mounted toward the rear of the window.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Edited by Carl Beck

Carl, if the front of your glass angles up and forward and the back of your glass goes straight up then your glass must have elastic properties that most of us don't have on our cars. ;) The entire door glass advances from back to front as the window is raised, so if you had both rollers, they both need to be angled in the same orientation. The rollars are a convex barrel shape and have one point of contact with the glass, so using them on the "wrong" side still works surprisingly well.

77-78 door glass rides in a pair of curved rigid channels in a totally different way from earlier glass. As a result they may not need the guide rollers as much for support. The fiche does not show a date range for their use, so they likely are used on all years. If your door has the cutouts where they fit, then they are likely designed to use them regardless of year.

FWIW, I put a second roller to the rear of my '73. Found a pair in the junk yard. They work fine w/ less rattle than before. Also, when I first got my car I found both rollers in the bottom of the doors. Apparently they had fallen off at one time or another...windows really rattled w/o them.

Cheers, Mike