IGNORED

Valve cover hose question

siteunseen

Interesting discussion. I knew that I had read somewhere of a fix/recall from Nissan about those hoses and I just came across it. It's on Page 194 in the How To Restore Your Datsun Z-Car book by Humble. Apparently,there were two problems, a funked-up AAR and/or a sticky throttle blade. But according to the book, their fix was to route the valve cover hose to the rubber boot. Then in 78 they switched it so that the AAR went to the boot. I guess saving the AAR came out ahead of saving the sticky throttle blade, or maybe they modified the throttle body and blade in 78 so that they could handle a little bit of blow-by goo. Anyway, weird stuff.

Edit - Sorry CO, we were writing at the same time. I think that the use of the T fitting is the 75-77 scheme. 1978 had the nipple on the boot, as did the "fixed" 75-77 cars. As I understand it. The FSMs, Engine Tuneup chapter have diagrams. They might have made the change mid-year though, so maybe some 78s are old-style.

Edited by Zed Head

My is routed this way. I have a 76 and no emissions either.

280~Master, you are running the stock configuration for 76, which is the same as 77.

Interesting to note that you have the unused nipple on the flex tube at the front of the throttle body. Seems your flex tube has been replaced at some point with a newer one. I wonder if maybe Nissan stopped making the original tube without the nipple, and just started supplying only the one with the nipple. They would only have to stock one part that way.

Anyway, you've got the correct setup for 76, but you could re-route for 78 if you chose to.

BTW - Nice tape on the AFM... Looks just like mine, except I'm rockin' green instead of red! LOL

Interesting discussion. I knew that I had read somewhere of a fix/recall from Nissan about those hoses and I just came across it. It's on Page 194 in the How To Restore Your Datsun Z-Car book by Humble.

Thanks for that info. So was there actually a recall for this? Was everything supposed to be updated to 78 specs?

I don't know if it was a recall, hence my "fix/recall". As I read what Humble wrote, if you took your car in with high idle or sticky throttle problems they would either replace the AAR and/or try to clean/unstick the throttle body. Then they would do the modification to prevent it happening again. If you didn't bring your car in, it probably never got fixed. So, not really a recall, I guess.

I don't know if it was a recall, hence my "fix/recall". As I read what Humble wrote, if you took your car in with high idle or sticky throttle problems they would either replace the AAR and/or try to clean/unstick the throttle body.

Gotcha. Well my 77 still has all the original 77 routing, and I'm nipple-less, so I guess my car never got the treatment.

I wonder if anyone ever came up with a way to plumb to the dirty side of the air cleaner without confusing the L-jet. :ermm:

Captain

The boot is from a different car and I plugged it. I replaced the stock one with this one due to the stock boot being pretty beat up and torn.

My car is a 76 but it has an engine from 77 as I have a N47 head and the numbers do not match.

Dont worry about me though..;) I do have a nice F54 NA block and a N42 head to replace it with when I run it to complete stoppage.

After trying Autocross this weekend for the first time an engine replacement may come sooner than later. LOL

That AFM has also been replaced so there is no longer any tape.

These were the first pics of the car after I got it, much has changed.

FWIW my production date 5/77 is plumbed just like the 78 because in May of 77 is when Datsun changed the plumbing. When you order the valve cover hose order the one for the 5/77-78 one. That is if you want to re-route. My friends 4/77 is plumbed like yours siteunseen. His AAR is "gumming" up now. I have suggested the same conversion to him. Of course you need the other items to make it work.

Edited by rcb280z

My door plate says 9/'76 but it's titled as a '77 and has the sloped rear deck. If your buddies 4/77 has that nipple on the accordion boot all he needs is some 5/8's heater hose and a spray can of break cleaner for the AAR, or that's all a Redneck needed. But then again you have the smogsters to deal with. Fastwoman did some cool looking stuff with copper tubing and sweat fittings painted black. I may try that after I get through de-bugging.

Edited by siteunseen

all he needs is some 5/8's heater hose and a spray can of break cleaner for the AAR. Fastwoman did some cool looking stuff with copper tubing and sweat fittings painted black.

I would be careful with the brake cleaner and the AAR... There's some wiring in there and I don't know how the insulation will like being soaked with the solvents. Use a little and quickly shake out the excess, but I wouldn't dunk it in a can of carb cleaner.

I remember that cool pic you were talking about from Fastwoman... I did some digging and found it in the "Post pics of your engine bay" thread. http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/thread45781.html

Even though the routing is a little different, the function is still textbook "78 style". AAR pickup is off the flex tube upstream of the dirty PCV overflow. I like it too!

280zblueengine01.jpg